What to feed laying hen, non-laying pullet and cockerel in same coop?

SillyChick

Songster
12 Years
Dec 15, 2007
Hello

In our coop we have a laying hen(just started laying), a not-laying-yet pullet and cockerel. The pullet and the cockerel are 5 months old. What shall I feed them? I was worried if I feed them layer feed then the pullet might also it them and may not be good for her. If I feed them chicken grower they laying hen might not get enough nutrients for her eggs. I'm also worried about feeding them eggshells, for the pullet might have problems when she eats it. What should I feed them? Should I mix different kinds of feed?

Oh, and is the cockerel ok to eat either chicken grower and layer feed?

Thanks in advance!

Feed them all layer feed. The pullets are close enough to being layers. The only concern would be if pullets were really young the higher calcium can be bad for babies.

I prefer to feed a non layer mesh, and provide oyster shells for the hen. Too much calcium is not good for roosters. JMO

Yep, I didn't say they wouldn't love it! lol I am just saying that a high calcium diet is not good for your roosters health is all.
smile.png

I have two, 4 month old chickens which have now turned out to be cockerels plus two 5 month old hens... They all eat Layer pellets... But they go mad for porridge oats (just plain and dry), they all also love bread, cooked pasta and sweetcorn. When i'm not giving them treats they eat the grass, clover and dandelion leaves plus the odd 1 or 1000 fies and bugs! I caught Tikka (1 of my cockerels) eating a baby bird yesterday... Couldnt get it off her... was disgusting.

I didnt realise chooks were cannibals!!! :-/

Back
Top Bottom