what to feed meat chicks

Quote:
How? (maybe that's a dumb question) I'm following Fertrell's recipe for my broilers and grinding it myself but it would be nice to make sure I'm doing it right.

on the side, it's interesting to notice the difference in feed consumption between FlockRaiser and the Fertrell broiler mix. They don't eat near as much of the Fertrell. They just lay around with full crops and legs extended in the grass. Manure is a different consistency too. I'll reserve final judgement until I raise a batch entirely on the Fertrell mix but for now...looks good.

I never feed my meat birds medicated feed or give them any kind of meds. There is no reason to, as even if they do get cocci, they won't be around long enough to die from it. On the top of my list of "why I raise my own" is that I can raise them with no medication. Also IMHO, vaccinations of any sort is a waste of money on these birds.

Quote:
Yeah... I got a discount on this bag of Broiler Ration (chick starter) with my batch of Cornish X. I didn't know it was a mash grind but it'll work okay for the first bag.

How big do they need to be before I can start feeding them pellets?

I'll probably use Purina Flock Raiser after I finish this bag. Not sure if that is a crumble or pellet.

Thanks!

Is it my imagination or do the meat birds go through a lot more water than other chicks? I have a hard time keeping up.

I also use our local co-op crumble. Where would you have it analyzed?

Thank you

The county extension agent can analyze feed protein.
Quote:
How? (maybe that's a dumb question) I'm following Fertrell's recipe for my broilers and grinding it myself but it would be nice to make sure I'm doing it right.

on the side, it's interesting to notice the difference in feed consumption between FlockRaiser and the Fertrell broiler mix. They don't eat near as much of the Fertrell. They just lay around with full crops and legs extended in the grass. Manure is a different consistency too. I'll reserve final judgement until I raise a batch entirely on the Fertrell mix but for now...looks good.

At 2 weeks they can go on Purina Flockraiser crumbles 5 weeks pellets are OK or just keep them on crumbles.
Quote:
Yeah... I got a discount on this bag of Broiler Ration (chick starter) with my batch of Cornish X. I didn't know it was a mash grind but it'll work okay for the first bag.

How big do they need to be before I can start feeding them pellets?

I'll probably use Purina Flock Raiser after I finish this bag. Not sure if that is a crumble or pellet.

Thanks!

Quote:
I'm with you bigredfeather, I start mine on Purina Start and Grow non-med. and I finish with it. I don't go mixing or anything like that. Mine seem to get there feathers faster and I had mine out at 3 weeks. All are growing fine, at seven weeks, the largest is 8 1/2 lbs and the smallest is 5 1/2, I suspect the largest is eating the smallest ones portions also lol. I do give a little scratch once in a while. I stopped buying store bought, do to the meds and hormones they add. I just want healthy birds, this batch was my best experience (even with the surprise snow storms and cold) I only did 11 and everyone did marvelous. I pick up my next 11 today.

When I worked at a local GRAIN FEED MILL the state would stop by and take samples of the feed to make sure that it was up to par with the analysis on the label. If it was off we were in trouble. We mixed several hundred tons every week and we never knew when the state grain inspector would show up or what feeds he would test. They would even take samples of the incoming whole grains.

foux

Quote:
Yes, they drink a ton of water. I have 25 meat birds. They are 7 weeks old. They are drinking about 5-7 gallons of water per day (depending on the outside temperature). I have also noticed that they flick the water too. I place an empty feed sack on the floor of their coop/brooder under the water to absorb the water they flick. I have to change it every other day because it gets completely soaked.

I started my meaties on two bags of Purina Start & Grow, non medicated. After I finished those two bags I switched to Purina Flockraiser. They are eating about 10 pounds of food per day.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom