What to feed my free range chickens

We have a farm swap twice a month at the Dunnellon TSC. We have had it for over 10 years now. If you ever get over to our area, stop in and say hello
We have a farm swap twice a month at the Dunnellon TSC. We have had it for over 10 years now. If you ever get over to our area, stop in and say Hi.
View attachment 2043596
I hope you know they won’t roam that whole 22 acres. We have 35 acres and the other day, one chicken ventured to the barn for the first time ever....about 500 yards. They are a creature of habit and I’ve found like to stick around each other...at least here. I’m happy with that. I don’t want them off too far...predators...plus, what if they can’t find their way back? I keep water in and out of the coop. On nice days I move the feed outside. On yucky days I keep feed in and outside...to encourage them to come out, but they don’t have to. I keep oyster and grit in the coop. My eggs are tough as nails. This is a picture of the chicken that roamed the other day. Had a hard time showing her the way back!!View attachment 2043455
Of course I know that because they only free range in the fenced in area which is about 10 acres. But when I accidentally leave a gate open you can guarantee that they will find it and try to investigate.

We have a farm swap twice a month at the Dunnellon TSC. We have had it for over 10 years now. If you ever get over to our area, stop in and say Hi.
View attachment 2043596
i would have to make a special date to do that since you are 2 hours away from me. I live close to Casia Fl. You may see me one day though. Who would I ask for so you know it is me? My name is Steve.

Look for the gal with the TSC hat on. That would be me... We have a gal who comes regularly from Volusia County. Years ago I went to some swaps in Jacksonville in Duval and Barberville in Volusia Counties but they don't have them there anymore.

Of course I know that because they only free range in the fenced in area which is about 10 acres. But when I accidentally leave a gate open you can guarantee that they will find it and try to investigate.
Wow...they go the whole ten acres?? Busy chickens!! I guess I have lazy chickens... :lau

I would consider getting a rooster or two, because if they are free range hens, they need extra protection. The rooster alerts them to predators so they can hide. I have not lost one hen yet!!! I have coyotes, etc.
I just purchased an Anatolian Shepard pup. I pick up on the 14th this month. It will be 8 weeks old. By the time he is 12 weeks old I should have him trained to protect my hens. The only reason I don’t want roosters is that I want my hens to lay eggs for sale.

Look for the gal with the TSC hat on. That would be me... We have a gal who comes regularly from Volusia County. Years ago I went to some swaps in Jacksonville in Duval and Barberville in Volusia Counties but they don't have them there anymore.
It will be good to meet you! Hope to see you soon!

We have 28 ac of mountsin ksnd consisting of secession pasture, mixed forest, and our yard. I free range my adult flock of Brahmas. I give them free choice of a 50/50 mix of layer feed and meat bird feed with oyster shell on the side snd it is provided in their elevated coop.
They forage no more than approximately 100 yards from the coop on any given day which is far enough for them to enter all 3 environments. When properly "homed" or "cooped up" they will not get lost and will return to the coop at night.

We have 28 ac of mountsin ksnd consisting of secession pasture, mixed forest, and our yard. I free range my adult flock of Brahmas. I give them free choice of a 50/50 mix of layer feed and meat bird feed with oyster shell on the side snd it is provided in their elevated coop.
They forage no more than approximately 100 yards from the coop on any given day which is far enough for them to enter all 3 environments. When properly "homed" or "cooped up" they will not get lost and will return to the coop at night.

I just purchased an Anatolian Shepard pup. I pick up on the 14th this month. It will be 8 weeks old. By the time he is 12 weeks old I should have him trained to protect my hens. The only reason I don’t want roosters is that I want my hens to lay eggs for sale.
Curious as to why fertilized eggs cannot be sold? What is the issue? Or is it public perception that is concerning?

Back
Top Bottom