What to feed my rooster?

May 2, 2020
Eastern Michigan
This question is going to sound kind of dumb, but what do I feed my rooster when he is an adult. He is a white leghorn that was mis-sexed at TSC, so I didn't do any research as to what to feed a rooster. Is there something special he needs to eat? Because I do know that hens need a lot more calcium. Thanks!

Many just feed layer feed, same as hens, but there is the risk of excess calcium eventually causing kidney damage.
I feed my whole flock grower/flock raiser because of the rooster and some older hens who no longer lay. I give calcium on the side in the form of oyster shells and crushed eggshells, and the hens take it as they need it.

Ok, should I add anything else to the feed to give hens the calcium.

Either buy layer feed, that already contains enough calcium, and let your rooster eat it too.

Or use a feed that has less calcium, and provide a separate dish of oyster shell so the hens can eat it as they need it. The rooster will eat the feed, and will mostly ignore the oyster shell. Oyster shell is a good source of calcium, and chickens can usually be trusted to each eat the amount that is right for them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom