What to feed my sick duck to boost immune system?

DucksnDaffodils

Songster
6 Years
Feb 18, 2013
Michigan
I have a rouen duck who has a bumble foot. I have her in a separate pen and am treating the foot, with essential oils and a herbal salve. But Rosa is very droopy, her feathers are really bedragled, and she is laying around a lot, and has stopped laying. I know most of this might be just stress. But I wanted to give her something to boost her immune system to fight the infection and help her recover faster. Does anyone have any natural suggestions that I could add to her feed or water? Herbs, tintures etc.. ?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you much!

~Christianna

I prefer herbal approaches, and sometimes I know antibiotics help especially if an infection goes systemic. I respect your approach, just wanted to share about that.

So.

Immune boosters. I first think of vitamin-electrolyte-probiotic mix in the water. Comfortable temperatures to lower stress, actually anything to lower stress. Baths in lukewarm water deep enough to float in, for circulation and feel-good hormones.

Fresh salad, a bit of apple cider vinegar in the water.

That's what came to mind.

I have also been hearing - for bumbles - in the evening soak the foot in Epsom salts, or even just a bath for a while, then dry the foot, dab a drop of iodine, make sure it dries, and check in the morning. It often takes more than one treatment, but this seems to help in at least some cases.

Thank you for the suggestions! I am giving her and a friend (who is limping but has no visible injuries) a bath right now, and they are quite happy. I have been doing some soaking, but probably not enough, definitely will be more consistent with that!

Thanks again.

i agree with soaking the foot in some warm water with epson salt. Make sure she doesn't drink it as it can have a laxative effect. Defrosted frozen peas with some Brewers Yeast sprinkled on top would be a nice treat. Ducks really need the niacin that brewers yeast provides. It won't cure the bumble foot but will really boost the immune system.

Back
Top Bottom