What to feed quail chicks for higher protein?

SeptemberQuail

Songster
7 Years
Oct 10, 2012
Australia
I'm forced to feed the 22% gamebird finisher (Grounded up into powder) for them, because all the feedstores in my area only supply gamebird starter in medicated forms, or don't sell it at all.

So I'd like to know, if there's any other ways of boosting the protein for 2 - 4 day old quail chicks, where they can digest it and also it's safe and easy to get from a local store or something.

Thanks!

how about some dried mealworms?
Sunflower seed meal runs from 28 to 42 percent protein and has lots of vitamins.
Have you asked the feed stores to special order some non-medicated game bird starter?
If you have to grind the feed, it should not be powdery. If it's too powdery it can stick to the toes and corners of their beaks for a possible infection.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Don't start in with the mealworms until the quail are about 6 or more weeks old. Mealworms look a lot like toes and can start them in on toe picking each other, which you will never break them of. You can offer up hard boiled eggs twice a day to up the protein. Eggs are a complete protein and is loaded with amino acids and such for good protein levels. Once the quail reach 6 weeks, 22% protein is not that bad of feed. I have had to go that route before with my Bobwhites and I still had healthy hefty birds and good layers.

We pretty much just bash a bag of gamebird finisher with a mallet, it turns into 'powder', but it's not fine powder, like sand, but more like small chunks.
I've been looking for fish food, but only found those commercial ones for small fish like betta or goldfish -- but I've only checked regular grocery stores or stores that sell a whole ton of stuff.

This weekend I can go try and search for catfish food. ^.^
Once the chicks hatched in the incubator, they became bored and randomly started pulling at another chicks toes....

Also @TwoCrowsRanch, How would I serve boiled egg to the chicks? Their beaks are still small, they're around 3 - 5 days old. Would I need to mash it up and break it apart?

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Where in Australia are you?

We pretty much just bash a bag of gamebird finisher with a mallet, it turns into 'powder', but it's not fine powder, like sand, but more like small chunks.
I've been looking for fish food, but only found those commercial ones for small fish like betta or goldfish -- but I've only checked regular grocery stores or stores that sell a whole ton of stuff.

This weekend I can go try and search for catfish food. ^.^
Once the chicks hatched in the incubator, they became bored and randomly started pulling at another chicks toes....

Also @TwoCrowsRanch, How would I serve boiled egg to the chicks? Their beaks are still small, they're around 3 - 5 days old. Would I need to mash it up and break it apart?

Thanks everyone for the replies!

i suggest to call craig from red hen 0418855360, he can suggest where to buy gamebird start its 28% protein non medicate. i have order 4 bags as its hard to get, im picking it up this friday from a local petshop in sydney.

also i feed my 2 day old quail chicks mashed boiled egg, they love it.

Back
Top Bottom