What to feed quail chicks?

RoosterHuggerLiz

Songster
Dec 27, 2020
I have a pair of quail chicks that I hatched in a pinch because my pair of quail hens were killed by rats and I wanted to secure their genetics. I've never hatched quail chicks before so out of the 10 eggs I had an incubator only two hatched and even the two that hatched had a hard time hatching. The first one to pip was 2 days ago and I had to assist it's hatching today because I noticed it's respiratory rate falling and it generally getting weaker. The second one for the most part was able to hatch on its own within 24 hours. The one that hatched on its own keeps trying to eat the weaker one? I've put them in their own separate bowls in the incubator while they dry off and they both seem to be quite hungry but the quail chick feed I ordered won't be here for another week. What can I feed them in the meantime to sustain them until their feed arrives?

Also for some reason their membranes are still stuck to their backs?

For very short term, you can give them some boiled, crushed egg yolk. Where did you order your feed from that it's taking a month to get to you, though? I'm assuming that you ordered it around the time you set the eggs. That's ridiculous.

Are there no feed stores near you? Can you get turkey starter?

For very short term, you can give them some boiled, crushed egg yolk. Where did you order your feed from that it's taking a month to get to you, though? I'm assuming that you ordered it around the time you set the eggs. That's ridiculous.

Are there no feed stores near you? Can you get turkey starter?
The closest feed store to me is 40 miles away and I don't have a car, I ordered the feed on day 15 of incubation and they came out the very next day? I wasn't expecting them to hatch until at least a 20- internet lied to me! :(

I ordered it through eBay, they said it will be here by Friday

I do have some chick feed but it's medicated which is the reason why I won't give it to them..

The closest feed store to me is 40 miles away and I don't have a car, I ordered the feed on day 15 of incubation and they came out the very next day? I wasn't expecting them to hatch until at least a 20- internet lied to me! :(

I ordered it through eBay, they said it will be here by Friday

I do have some chick feed but it's medicated which is the reason why I won't give it to them..
make a plea on facebook or order a rideshare. an hour without feed and birds metabolism puts them in ketosis and starts eating either organs starting with the liver and eyes. feeding food like boiled eggs will sustain them only for a day or two.

Coturnix quail usually hatch on day 17. You have adult quail, though? It's not ideal, but you should feed them the adult quail feed mixed with the egg yolk until the proper feed shows up.
So I did a little bit of research and found out that wild quail chicks often eat primarily bugs and I just so happened to breed German cockroaches as a protein booster for my other animals. I gave them some of the roaches and they ate like piggies, do you think this could help with the temporary feeding situation or is feeding them the cockroaches a bad idea?

Coturnix quail usually hatch on day 17. You have adult quail, though? It's not ideal, but you should feed them the adult quail feed mixed with the egg yolk until the proper feed shows up.
For the most part that's what I've been doing. I was also told to give them grit?

For the most part that's what I've been doing. I was also told to give them grit?
Give grit, only if feeding something other than crumbles....insects, grains, etc...they need grit to help the gizzard grind up insects or grain.

Do you know the protein and fat content of the cockroaches?

So I did a little bit of research and found out that wild quail chicks often eat primarily bugs and I just so happened to breed German cockroaches as a protein booster for my other animals. I gave them some of the roaches and they ate like piggies, do you think this could help with the temporary feeding situation or is feeding them the cockroaches a bad idea?
It's better than nothing, but to be honest your situation isn't ideal. I sure hope your feed comes sooner rather than later. I normally get feed long before the chicks hatch just to have some on hand.

Since you are feeding them things other than milled feed, they will need grit.

Give grit, only if feeding something other than crumbles....insects, grains, etc...they need grit to help the gizzard grind up insects or grain.

Do you know the protein and fat content of the cockroaches?
78g of protein per every 100g. Dry weight- I know they're very high in protein because they're what I use to supplement for the high protein intake my male birds need, not so sure about the fat content

Back
Top Bottom