MarlyMonster

Songster
Oct 24, 2018
Hi lovely people!

Newbie here! I’ll be hatching some little ones for a personal research experiment and while I’ve gotten pretty far on reading about how to hatch babies, I’m not sure on what to feed them once they hatch!

I’m hatching quails and Muscovy ducks, so I’d like to know what people usually feed them. Could I have them on the same feed? Medicated or unmedicated?

Looking forward to everyone’s insight!

Marly

I agree Gamebird starter, but do not feed them medicated. While it is likely okay to feed them now, unlike in past times where the medicated feed was made with sulfur based products, there is not a real reason to feed medicated. The medication, typically coccidostat, is used to keep the synthesis of the natural cocci in the birds from occurring. Unless they are kept in filthy wet conditions, there is not a real reason to block the naturally occurring bacterium.

I agree Gamebird starter, but do not feed them medicated. While it is likely okay to feed them now, unlike in past times where the medicated feed was made with sulfur based products, there is not a real reason to feed medicated. The medication, typically coccidostat, is used to keep the synthesis of the natural cocci in the birds from occurring. Unless they are kept in filthy wet conditions, there is not a real reason to block the naturally occurring bacterium.

Yeah figured on the medicated thing, I didn’t see a reason to give them extra chemicals when not necessary but wanted to make sure. Thank you!!

Yes it will work for ducks. Also, ducklings will need supplemented niacin, which can be readily found in nutritional or brewers yeast. Just add a spoonful on top of their feed, and it’ll help prevent leg problems and neural issues.

I read something about that, somewhere I saw feeding peas works too? Does it have to be like live yeast? Like the stuff you find in the baking isle?

I read something about that, somewhere I saw feeding peas works too? Does it have to be like live yeast? Like the stuff you find in the baking isle?
I don’t know about peas, but yes typically the stuff you’ll find in a baking isle or in the medicine isles as a supplement.

7A62DEAF-7B52-4413-8E21-EEF3E82A9F3C.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom