What to feed the chickens in

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Tmcmullen, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Tmcmullen

Tmcmullen New Egg

Aug 31, 2011
    Terry, MS
    I want to start feeding our chickens (5 hens, 1 rooster) the scraps from the house and fresh veggies, but i'm not sure what i need to feed them in. What type of container have ya'll found that works best?

2. Chick named Lola

Chick named Lola Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Maryland
    Do you mean what do you put the scraps in to feed them? Heck, they don't care! Throw on the floor of the run... I have to say for greens though...just for enrichment purposes...I stuff the greens in a double wide size suet feeder and hang it up for them to pick at. They do much prefer this method. You could stuff all kinds of stuff in there for them to pick at...keeps em busy!

3. obaan1

obaan1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Great Lakes State
    I use old pans. Pie pans, baking pans, old fry pans. Anything that is shallow and bigger
    is better to eliminate fighting when it's being served up. They all rinse out easily, too.

4. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    I just toss it all on the ground

5. kichohana

kichohana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Johnston County, NC
    I have a plastic chip n dip bowl in their run. I usually toss kitchen scraps in there. BOSS and scratch get tossed in on the ground - because they like to pick and scratch at/for it. Neither method is particularly sanitary because they step in/on everything anyway. I do hang cabbages by screwing an eye-bolt into the core and hanging it from a chain, and tie up greens the same way - mostly for a change of scenery so they're not ALWAYS pecking at the ground. [​IMG]

6. Tmcmullen

Tmcmullen New Egg

Aug 31, 2011
    Terry, MS
    Thanks! I hadn't thought about hanging the greens!!!! This is why I always turn to these boards for all my "silly" questions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by