What to feed the chickens in

Tmcmullen

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 31, 2011
Terry, MS
I want to start feeding our chickens (5 hens, 1 rooster) the scraps from the house and fresh veggies, but i'm not sure what i need to feed them in. What type of container have ya'll found that works best?

Do you mean what do you put the scraps in to feed them? Heck, they don't care! Throw on the floor of the run... I have to say for greens though...just for enrichment purposes...I stuff the greens in a double wide size suet feeder and hang it up for them to pick at. They do much prefer this method. You could stuff all kinds of stuff in there for them to pick at...keeps em busy!

I use old pans. Pie pans, baking pans, old fry pans. Anything that is shallow and bigger
is better to eliminate fighting when it's being served up. They all rinse out easily, too.

I have a plastic chip n dip bowl in their run. I usually toss kitchen scraps in there. BOSS and scratch get tossed in on the ground - because they like to pick and scratch at/for it. Neither method is particularly sanitary because they step in/on everything anyway. I do hang cabbages by screwing an eye-bolt into the core and hanging it from a chain, and tie up greens the same way - mostly for a change of scenery so they're not ALWAYS pecking at the ground.
wink.png

Thanks! I hadn't thought about hanging the greens!!!! This is why I always turn to these boards for all my "silly" questions.

Back
Top Bottom