What to feed to get Orange yolk

Pics
Hello everyone,
I been freeding my chickens 16% layer pellets for a year now, but I change their diet a couple of months ago with winter.
I fed them cooked salmon (from an out of business restaurant due to COVID) every week maybe twice if I have the time.
Then I fed them some canned spinach and mixed veggies from that restaurant, every other day, then I ran out.
Their eggs turn very orange then gone this month, I still do the salmon but getting low in stock.
That restaurant gave me a deal to buy off his stocked canned and frozen salmon so he could sell his business.
Now I want to get this orange yolks back and I want to do it in the least expensive way.
Yes I do free range in the summer and get light orange but this spring time, I want to make sure the chickens have enough to make those orange eggs again and want help if anyone could have a list of feed that I can mix up myself to get that dark orange again. My customers loved those orange yolks and with the yolks getting pale my customers are wondering if their still healthy.
I want to start feeding them 18% protein layer just to make sure they get enough protein and energy specially roaming around in the farm.

ANYBODY HAVE A FEED MIX FOR ORANGE YOLKS?
Try planting french marigolds and feed them the dried flowers, be sure to save enough to feed through the winter

I already ran this experiment lol. A little out of order but you can see the progression from yellow to deep orange. Red pepper added to regular feed will do it.

Edited to add that the difference between the pale yellow and deep orange is about a week. You can change the color of their yolks really quickly. I don't think it matters what type of pepper you use- cayenne, paprika, etc as long as it's red.
I gave my chickens red pepper flakes to stimulate egg production in the winter (it worked) and the yolks were dark orange.

Marigolds. We grow them in part to feed the girls. You can dry them for the winter months. Many feeds have marigold in them for just this purpose.

Cheap can of paprika. Red pepper flakes.

Turmeric….but, when I tried this their eggs tasted weird, orange color, but off flavor.

Kale works well and bugs. Lots of bugs. I'm in an urban setting so my hens cannot free range but in the summertime we get A LOT of grasshoppers in my yard. I catch as much as I can daily and feed to hens. They love it! Total payback too for those little grasshopper jerks eating at my garden!

My eggs are consistently orange. I only feed my chickens real food and organic scratch. I don't spend any more time feeding them than I did my kids when they were living with me. I enjoy making them breakfast and they have the free range choice all year (temps as low as -15)

organic greens - lots of dark colored leaves
eggs cooked with garlic, flax, chia (these eggs are ours of course with orange yolks), to keep the birds warm in the cold, i will cook with organic beef suet
dried egg shells
their favorite in cold weather - SUNFLOWER SEEDS!! GIMMEE GIMMEE!!
compost pile - mostly organic
anything they find kick'n around
scratch

spoiled? maybe? but then i am spoiled in return right!!

Tell your customers that what they eat affects yolk color (true), and that the changes in color with the seasons have nothing to do with quality (any more than artificially colored salmon is of greater quality) - its simply an advertising gimmick. You've been feeding your birds food coloring. (perfectly safe food coloring).

Marigold petals are popular fo altering egg color. You can also plant (and feed) cantaloupe as treats, baked/steamed sweet potato, carrots, yams (but I said that already!) [OK, not truly, but few would recognize the difference], beets, and other flowers/veggies high in betacarotenoids.

Again, from a nutritional standpoint, the color is near meaningless. Mine free range, and during a stretch of winter, they actually turn a bit green. Perfectly healthy. Its them eating more acorns. The ducks, particularly.
Hello everyone,
I been freeding my chickens 16% layer pellets for a year now, but I change their diet a couple of months ago with winter.
I fed them cooked salmon (from an out of business restaurant due to COVID) every week maybe twice if I have the time.
Then I fed them some canned spinach and mixed veggies from that restaurant, every other day, then I ran out.
Their eggs turn very orange then gone this month, I still do the salmon but getting low in stock.
That restaurant gave me a deal to buy off his stocked canned and frozen salmon so he could sell his business.
Now I want to get this orange yolks back and I want to do it in the least expensive way.
Yes I do free range in the summer and get light orange but this spring time, I want to make sure the chickens have enough to make those orange eggs again and want help if anyone could have a list of feed that I can mix up myself to get that dark orange again. My customers loved those orange yolks and with the yolks getting pale my customers are wondering if their still healthy.
I want to start feeding them 18% protein layer just to make sure they get enough protein and energy specially roaming around in the farm.

ANYBODY HAVE A FEED MIX FOR ORANGE YOLKS?
I would only feed or eat for that matter, wild caught cold water Salmon and never touch for any reason artificially colored salmon, which is farmed fish and fed a constant diet genetically engineered-Ready Rounded- glyphosate poisoned grains, with "coloring" added and the only quality you will find in these fish is bad quality, very bad quality.
If you are raising chickens to eat or for their eggs for you and your family, you want them to be the best quality possible.
All of our eggs are orange throughout the winter here in East Texas and we feed an assortment of organic veggies, Wild Planet Sardines, Anchovies and Mackerel, along with Butcher Box's wild caught Salmon, Whitefish and Cod, organic corn with coconut, olive oil, avocado oil and flax seed oil, organically fed crickets and mealworms and certain fruits all organic.
We grow about 35% our own melons and veggies weather permitting, in a greenhouse, which the chickens coops is in during the winter, so the temp never drops below 40 in the coop or greenhouse regardless of the outside temps.
They lay everyday, rain or shine. I figure it costs us about 50 cent an egg, but I know the quality is the best ! They run all around our grassy backyard and love the waterfall sound from the Jacuzzi to the swimming pool. ( For some reason these chickens like the sound of running water I'm guessing). In the summer I leave the light on in the pool and it attracts all manner of bugs which these ladies get to feast on for hours on end in the mornings! Great variety here too.

Back
Top Bottom