What to feed to get Orange yolk

Hello everyone,
I been freeding my chickens 16% layer pellets for a year now, but I change their diet a couple of months ago with winter.
I fed them cooked salmon (from an out of business restaurant due to COVID) every week maybe twice if I have the time.
Then I fed them some canned spinach and mixed veggies from that restaurant, every other day, then I ran out.
Their eggs turn very orange then gone this month, I still do the salmon but getting low in stock.
That restaurant gave me a deal to buy off his stocked canned and frozen salmon so he could sell his business.
Now I want to get this orange yolks back and I want to do it in the least expensive way.
Yes I do free range in the summer and get light orange but this spring time, I want to make sure the chickens have enough to make those orange eggs again and want help if anyone could have a list of feed that I can mix up myself to get that dark orange again. My customers loved those orange yolks and with the yolks getting pale my customers are wondering if their still healthy.
I want to start feeding them 18% protein layer just to make sure they get enough protein and energy specially roaming around in the farm.

ANYBODY HAVE A FEED MIX FOR ORANGE YOLKS?

Hello everyone,
I been freeding my chickens 16% layer pellets for a year now, but I change their diet a couple of months ago with winter.
I fed them cooked salmon (from an out of business restaurant due to COVID) every week maybe twice if I have the time.
Then I fed them some canned spinach and mixed veggies from that restaurant, every other day, then I ran out.
Their eggs turn very orange then gone this month, I still do the salmon but getting low in stock.
That restaurant gave me a deal to buy off his stocked canned and frozen salmon so he could sell his business.
Now I want to get this orange yolks back and I want to do it in the least expensive way.
Yes I do free range in the summer and get light orange but this spring time, I want to make sure the chickens have enough to make those orange eggs again and want help if anyone could have a list of feed that I can mix up myself to get that dark orange again. My customers loved those orange yolks and with the yolks getting pale my customers are wondering if their still healthy.
I want to start feeding them 18% protein layer just to make sure they get enough protein and energy specially roaming around in the farm.

ANYBODY HAVE A FEED MIX FOR ORANGE YOLKS?
I feed my girls crushed red peppers and chili powder. I have used marigold flowers, some research says they may reduce egg production. I also hang a red cabbage on a tether, it keeps them occupied.

I always grow Marigolds, in pots, througout garden & near my blueberries. They're wonderful, bright, fragrant, Marigolds.jpg hardy flowers. So, I've offered my flock Marigolds, fresh bloom as well as dried flower head & they ignore them. They will eat warm oatmeal, squash, cabbage, fresh chick weed growing, Watermelon, cantalope, tomato, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, raspberries & zucchini. But as far as Dandelion & Marigolds go...they're not interested. I'd have to mix the flowers with the oatmeal. I find it hard to believe my flock could be that picky about something, but they are. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
i find that when i feed them less from a bag and force them to forage more (on my lawn), their yolks turn orange. they don't lay as many that way, but then again i'm just keeping chickens for my own egg consumption and i don't need the eggs they put out in the spring. so making them forage is sort a nice way for me to regulate egg production and get orange yolks :cool:

Based off what I’ve read in replies, spinach could be your best bet for color. If you’ve got optimal climate, Brazilian spinach is a bush like plant that has high production. It’s heat hearty but I don’t think it would fare well in the snow like standard spinach. If it works out, it’ll produce a good amount without the expense.

As a side note, maybe fermenting your feed can help make the most of your 16% protein. Adding more would be expensive. In fermentation (just water and feed) bacteria breaks down and assesses the material so it’s readily accessible to your birds. More bang for your buck

I feed spinach to my flock nearly every day along with other green vegetables. They absolutely love the spinach. It is relatively inexpensive and one of those standard bags is good for at least five days with a flock of ten. I don't give them but a handful and it really does the trick for orange yolks. I have discovered that the dollar store near me sell perfectly good veggies for ninety nine cents. I got a bag of three nice zucchini squash for a buck, the girls really enjoyed one today.

I always grow Marigolds, in pots, througout garden & near my blueberries. They're wonderful, bright, fragrant, View attachment 3043465hardy flowers. So, I've offered my flock Marigolds, fresh bloom as well as dried flower head & they ignore them. They will eat warm oatmeal, squash, cabbage, fresh chick weed growing, Watermelon, cantalope, tomato, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, raspberries & zucchini. But as far as Dandelion & Marigolds go...they're not interested. I'd have to mix the flowers with the oatmeal. I find it hard to believe my flock could be that picky about something, but they are. Any suggestions?
Mine also turn up beaks at marigolds. I lace their soldier worms with turmeric and paprika.

Back
Top Bottom