what to feed to who.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Jferlisi, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Ok so i just got some baby chicks on Wednesday. I also have 18 weekers and 8 weekers. Is it ok for one to give the 8 weekers who eat with the 18 weekers laying mash or no? Also should i get the starter stuff for the new babies or would the laying mash. The local feed store was out of the starter feed and i forgot yesterday and when i went today they where closed so i have been feeding them laying mash. If i get the starter stuff is it ok for the larger girls to eat scratch or do they need layer feed too? I just ran out of the mash today. I know alot of questions and thanks for all the answers. Oh and the babies are separate from the rest of the flock.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have had layers and babies together more than once. I fed everyone starter/grower, and put out oyster shell separately. Never did see a baby chick eat oyster shell; they couldn't have gotten much, if any. And the starter/grower certainly won't hurt the layers or the eggs, even if it is medicated. That is, if the medication is amprolium. Layer, on the other hand, can seriously harm a chick, cause major organ damage.

3. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    ok thanks. So do i add the oyster shell to the food or in a separate feeder?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by