"What to feed your chickens so they survive winter."

Pics
I don't like her video and her advice is terrible, but I agree with this. The obvious caveat is that it doesn't mean closing up all your vents. I caulked every seam in my Woods coop. That keeps air from being able to blow in the front big windows and out through the back of the coop. With the back of the coop airtight, wind can't blow into the big front windows and penetrate into the back of the coop where the birds roost. They still get lots and lots of fresh air, but no drafts at all. I agree with you that it may mislead new owners into sealing up every window, and that would be very, very bad.
Yeah all I meant was that she doesn't stress the need for ventilation, which would be pretty important to mention for her target audience (new chicken keepers). I agree with what you're saying.

I actually did buy an organic grain scratch prior to getting the chicks. I have 3 - 25lb bags of it. I was stocking up & trying my best to get prepared.
Just FYI, unless you have a LOT of chickens (maybe you do, I don't see mention of size of flock) or are located somewhere where sourcing freshly milled feed can be difficult, stocking up can be problematic as feed (and treats) start losing nutrition the longer it sits.

I don't think I could use up 25 lbs of scratch in a year, but I only have 10 birds.

Just FYI, unless you have a LOT of chickens (maybe you do, I don't see mention of size of flock) or are located somewhere where sourcing freshly milled feed can be difficult, stocking up can be problematic as feed (and treats) start losing nutrition the longer it sits.

I don't think I could use up 25 lbs of scratch in a year, but I only have 10 birds.
Yes, I have 10 as well. However, I've been concerned about the diesel shortage they've been screaming about for the last couple of months. Coupled with the food & energy crisis we may be facing, I'm concerned. What's the point of having chickens if you can get any feed for them.

Okay, thank you! I will look into that. Can you recommend some brands?

I actually did buy an organic grain scratch prior to getting the chicks. I have 3 - 25lb bags of it. I was stocking up & trying my best to get prepared. Is '7-11 scratch' the name of the scratch or do you mean 7 to 11 grain scratch?

Thanks again!
Used to be Southern States now its nutrena

Back
Top Bottom