1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what to feed?????????

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Newchickenmom&kids, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    We are brand new to this and would appreciate any advice...
    We have 25 chicks. 10 are approx. 6 wks old. The other 15 are a week or two younger. They have almost ate a 50lb bag of starter/ grower feed. I was wondering if I should get another 50lb bag or could we now just begin the layer feed? I also have some scratch for treats.

2. chickens^^

chickens^^ Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2007
    West Virginia
    what brand do you use? Dumor?

3. Newchickenmom&kids

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    The layer food is Nutrena Naturewise Layer Complete.....the starter/grower is a Rural King brand.

4. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    i believe the general practice is to continue feeding starter until the hens begin to lay, then switch to layer feed, but i'm not positive...

are you keeping the birds for laying, or are they meat birds? meat birds may require a different feed at an earlier age.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  5. Rooster01

Rooster01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Southern WV
    I feed starter for 1 month then I switch to layer. Some say Layer hurts their liver when their young but I've never had any problems.

6. Newchickenmom&kids

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    I'm only keeping them for laying.

7. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Keep them on starter/grower until about 20 weeks, then switch to layer feed. There is too much calcium in the layer food for chicks.

8. MoonGoddess

MoonGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Philly, PA
    I think you should feed them the starter food until they lay the first egg and then switch to layer food.

9. chickens^^

chickens^^ Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2007
    West Virginia
    When they are 18 weeks of agae start feeding them layer!! it is on the back of the bag of dumor chicken feed. When they are 18-20 weeks of age they will start to lay eggs. You need to start the layer feed when thay are 18 week to get them started for all those eggs!

10. Newchickenmom&kids

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    OK! Thanks for all your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by