1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to feed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sammin71, May 14, 2011.

1. sammin71

sammin71 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    My chicks are goin on 8 weeks and i have enough chick starter for one more week should i get more starter or start them on something else just not sure how long to feed what or when to change. Thanks

2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I'm feeding medicated starter until they are 18 weeks old. I'm not taking any chances with coccia(sp). I keep Sulmet and corid on the shelf for an emergency outbreak. The disease is everywhere and it is devastating to the flock. This is my personal preference, I maybe a little overprotective though.

I would at least keep them on a higher protein until they are a little older. They are growing very quickly and need the nutrients.

3. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

I stopped feeding mine medicated starter by 8 weeks and moved them onto organic grower... As my hens only get organic feed... If mine survived to 8 weeks then they are good in my eyes... I have never had any illness or cocci...touch wood!
    I believe that the grower formula helps them grow big and healthy in their 'teenage' weeks.... I also believe that the larger grains develops their gut and digestive track for larger, different types of food and treats...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by