What to feed??

woods-n-water

Hatching
8 Years
May 19, 2011
1st time poster.....I just got started "raising chickens" and have 2 RIR hens and 1 RIR rooster that are grown, 1 game hen and rooster, and a couple of 1 month old bitties unknown breed. What should i feed them on a daily basis. They are kept in the coop due to not having room for free range. I know very little about chickens so all help will be appreciated thanks.

The grown ones can be fed any type of commercial layers feed, the young ones should be fed starter feed until they get to a laying age. You can give them various treats, like some food scraps or sun flower seeds, just don't give them a ton at once, otherwise they can get the squirts.

However, if you feed layer feed to chickens that are too young to lay, my understanding is that the excess calcium in layer feed can build up in their kidneys & cause them to possibly suffer renal failure. I've never had it happen, I've always gone with starter feed. Call it paranoid, but better safe then sorry. You have to figure there is a reason that the feeds are marketed seperatly.

Back
Top Bottom