What to feed!?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by andrew6d9, Jul 31, 2011.

1. andrew6d9

andrew6d9 Chillin' With My Peeps

what can i feed my roosters and hens to make my roosters get bigger without them getting fat

2. andrew6d9

i just want to know like what kind of special feed because i do not think my laying mash from the feed mill will do the trick

3. andrew6d9

please help me!

4. Josie360

Josie360 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Central Texas
    Hi there!
    I have a mixed age flock and have feeders with both Lay Pellets and Chick Starter, plus have dishes of grit and Oyster Shell available at all times. You might feed your Roo chick starter or a game bird feed, if there is one available in your area.

5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    you want your roosters bigger? they will do that on their own as they mature...unless they are a smaller breed.

the layer feed is make specially for laying hens, you could give flock raiser feed with oyster shell on the side when you have roosters...

What type of roos do you have and how old are they now?

6. andrew6d9

i have 7 BO hens and 2 BO roosters. they are 18 weeks old and i just want to make sure that they get big for showing them.

7. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:The roosters will mature out at about 10 lbs...the hens about 8...not sure if you can "make them" bigger...maybe someone else has an idea for you...

8. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    The only way to get a BIG rooster is to get a big breed or rooster. If you want him to get big and nice looking then let him freerange when you can and always provide him with good quality food and scratch. I give mine scraps from our meals, not sure how much of that they can eat but mine sure do love leftovers.

9. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I have a friend with over 30 BO...his rooster is not the largest...you would need to get a larger breed...like the Black or White Jersey Giants...they can get to 11 lbs...
    But BO get to be about 10, so not a huge difference.

10. andrew6d9

okay thanks i just wanted to make sure that laying mash mixed with letting them out everyday for about an hour would be healthy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by