What to get, just incase?

szy.cpr

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 26, 2007
hertfordshire/england
:confused:Ok, so ive got 5 9 weeks old chicks and have lost only one since i got them at 1 week old, i got caught out with the one i lost and didnt have any thing to help it through, so i ended up having to use sugar water, so we are off to the chicken shop and making ourselves a first aid kit but the only thing is that i havent got a clue what to get......any suggestions would be great

grit, medicine for Coccidiosis medicated grower feed, medicine for wounds medicine for when if they are feather pulling
feeders and waterers
scratch for treats only not as a full time thing
lots more im sure but this is some of it
electrolites for when they are sick

Last edited by a moderator:
Below is information from a previous post I had copied and pasted it into a file for reference. I don't think she left anything out!!!!
It was very informative. If you look for it in the forum there were also pictures attached to show what some of these items looked like. Really helpful!!!!

I thought it would be handy for those just starting out with chickens to have a list & pictures of common items to have on hand in case of an emergency. Keep in mind since I'm a nurse I have a multitude of items that most first aid kits would not have. Here is a list of my items and some pics. The second picture is just a close up of the Bandguard that is in the first picture. The first picture from left to right and back to front is as follows:

1. Blue Kote ~ Veterinary Antiseptic - Protective Wound Dressing ($6)
2. Poultry Nutri-Drench ~ Poultry Vitamins ($5) Not necessary for daily use. Mainly for rapid results or for shipping.
3. Epson Salt ~ For sprained legs etc. ($2)
4. Hydrogen Peroxide ~ General cleaning of wounds - mix half and half with water. ($2)
5. Bitter Lime ~ To prevent fur biting, hair chewing and skin scratching. I have it for my dogs...not 100% sure it would work for the chickens though. ($6)
6. Popcicle Sticks ~ for leg or wing injury where stablization is needed. Free after you eat the popcicles
7. Medicine dropper ~ To administer meds, food or water to sick or wounded bird. (2 pack for $2)
8. Bandage scissors ~ A must for any family regardless if you have pets or not. It helps that I have access to multiple ones. Hemostats are also a good thing to have - see bottem picture. (Free)
9. Vit-tal Vitamins & Electrolytes ~ For stressed or injured chickens. Short term use only. ($2)
10. Bag Balm ~ Use it for dry legs or skin ($7-8)
11. Flys Off ~ Fly repellent ointment for wounds & sores ($7) They also have a spray that you can use.
12. TAO or Triple Antibiotic Ointment ~ For general cuts, scrapes etc. ($3)
13. Banguard ~ I have this from my vet when my dog got spayed and I called and he said it would also work for chickens. You apply directly on bandages, casts, tape and other wounds or dressings to deter self-mutilation or in the case of chickens....possible test tasting from other animals. ($13)
apply stiptic powder to stop the bleeding
A cage or large tupperware container to isolate a bird if you have to. Oh, and a light to keep a sick bird warm.
Vet Wrap
Rooster Booster- Prevents feather pulling and vent picking

ok, brilliant, i have grit and they have been getting it often, and feeders and i know the main things, but what about worming ect, im planning to get some eletrolytes and vitamins but what about red mites, my neighbours had chickens a while ago and they got red mites so mine are bound to get it too, oh and cocci mediciene which would you recommend to be the best one......thanks for all your help

i use terramycin i teaspoon per gallon of water .you cant eat their eggs for about a week after you treat them also do not eat them until the medicine clears out of thier bodies
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom