What to look for and what to avoid when buying baby chicks from a farm

How old will the chicks be? Are the Faverolles hatchery or breeder? I can sex my Faverolles between 7 and 10 days of age.

Last edited:
Rooster are SUCH a pain to deal with

I believe that is better stated that a bad rooster is a pain to deal with, a good rooster is no more trouble then a hen...

If you just want eggs a few chickens as pets and don't plan on breeding, it's probably best to avoid roosters because you will get bad apple roosters that will have to be dealt with or cause issues...

One thing to note a lot of farms and/or breeders are not going to allow you to look around that much and many might not even let you handle the chicks prior to purchase due to bio containment concerns... It's a two sided sword, you might feel offended that you can't walk around or touch every chick to pick your own, but from a bio containment standpoint it's good practice to not allow that...

Last edited:
My chicks do very well on Purina Flock Raiser crumbles (20% protein). Periodically, I give them apple cider vinegar in their water at the rate of 1 tablespoon per gallon (but don't do this in a metal waterer). I think it's very helpful for them to have access to pasture or untreated lawn for grazing on a variety of green plants. They benefit from the natural vitamins and nutrients in the vegetation. Be sure to provide chick grit.

You may wish to get Sex-links....the only way to be pretty assured of getting all females. They are great egg producers.

How old will the chicks be? Are the Faverolles hatchery or breeder? I can sex my Faverolles between 7 and 10 days of age.
Only a few days old, or we could always go for the slightly older ones that cost more but we can have the sex determined. I'll defiantly post pictures once they're old enough for the trained eye to guess the gender. I'll be getting them from a chicken breeder in northern Wisconsin.

Last edited:
I believe that is better stated that a bad rooster is a pain to deal with, a good rooster is no more trouble then a hen...

If you just want eggs a few chickens as pets and don't plan on breeding, it's probably best to avoid roosters because you will get bad apple roosters that will have to be dealt with or cause issues...

One thing to note a lot of farms and/or breeders are not going to allow you to look around that much and many might not even let you handle the chicks prior to purchase due to bio containment concerns... It's a two sided sword, you might feel offended that you can't walk around or touch every chick to pick your own, but from a bio containment standpoint it's good practice to not allow that...
I've already discussed with the lady that we'll be allowed to hand pick our own chicks, I don't know exactly how much free space were given in handling and choosing but she won't just hand us a box of what we want and send us on our way. She's no ametur either so I'm not worried about her being unqualified.

Only a few days old, or we could always go for the slightly older ones that cost more but we can have the sex determined. I'll defiantly post pictures once they're old enough for the trained eye to guess the gender. I'll be getting them from a chicken breeder in northern Wisconsin.
There is a Faverolles thread. Post pictures there and we should be able to help.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/268082/faverolles-thread/16310

I do not know any Fav breeders up that way who also have the other breeds you mentioned.

To substantially reduce the risk of disease, be sure you're buying chicks from a farm or breeder that is NPIP certified.

Rooster are SUCH a pain to deal with that I'd highly recommend purchasing these breeds from a hatchery that will sex them for you. You won't be able to sex any of the breeds you've listed. The sexing accuracy at hatcheries is around 90% and most of these breeds would be readily available in the spring. Nobody seems to want cockerels and they will harass the pullets unless you separate them.
I wouldn't put much faith in hatchery stock being pullets. The first 3 Dom pullets (very easy to sex at hatch based on coloring) I got were all roos. Yes, in a small flock like this, roosters would not be a good thing.

Based on the size of the operation... sounds like this is a fairly big one... biosecurity is a definite issue that can affect how the customer is able to "pick" his chicks. When I sell birds, I separate out the ones that are being sold. I'm more than happy to assist the customer with an inspection, but due to bio issues, do not want the customer handling my birds, until they are no longer my birds.

Check out this article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/yes-you-certainly-can-brood-chicks-outdoors

Back
Top Bottom