What to look for during quarantine?

annaraven

Born this way
9 Years
Apr 15, 2010
SillyCon Valley
Everyone says, quarantine new birds for 30 days before you add them to your flock. But, other than dying during those 30 days... what do you look for? Any simple concrete suggestions? I mean, it's pretty obvious if they're lethargic/falling over or have big sores or coughing/sneezing. But, beyond that, what do I look for before I put them in with my own birds?

food eaten... do they eat enough

poop... hoes their poop? worms in it?

lice or mites.. is there any

overall health like sneezing, discharge from eyes nose or mouth

comb/waddle colour.. is it bright or dull

this time can also be used to worm and treat for other hitch hikers and get rid of them so you dont infect your flock

leg mites too

Quote:
to runny.. smelly ... bloody.... worms... green... ect anything that does not look normal for a chicken... I will have a look through the poo thread and find the link of mornal vs, not normal poo with pics for you... gimmie a bit

Quote:
to runny.. smelly ... bloody.... worms... green... ect anything that does not look normal for a chicken... I will have a look through the poo thread and find the link of mornal vs, not normal poo with pics for you... gimmie a bit

There's a "poo thread"? Wow. What a site! Okay, thanks.

FWIW - I did try searching for quarantine, but there's so many different threads with a little bit here and a little bit there and moslty just mentioning that you should quarantine, but not mentioning what to look for... that I thought it would be helpful (not just to me) to have a thread that lists everything in one place.

Thanks!

I think you'll find this 'poo' link a bit better. You can thank me later
tongue.png

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

Back
Top Bottom