What to Look for in a Broody Rooster

Pics
To my knowledge the only problem currently with eating mealworms is social stigma. From a health perspective they are better than hotdogs and probably even straight beef. pork or poultry. I will talk to her about it when she can understand.

Brood three down to 7 chicks and they already roosting up about 6'..

I swapped in a new rooster well into molt for public use. He is well into molt with flight feathers nearly all in. He offers feed to chicks and even mates with Blanch even as the complains but he is not acting as a broody rooster. He spends most of his day well away from Blanch and her brood. Same rooster last year during early part of breeding season did behave as a broody rooster. Late season while in molt he and most others do not invest as much in chicks. He is not imprinted on these.

I just had a rooster wander into my yard and start hanging with my hens. He's been here four days. I notice when I toss goodies out to the chickens, he will make the "mother sound", a soft cluck, cluck, cluck which indicates the mother has food for the babies. He does that sound to alert the hens he has food for them. Strange. My duck just hatched ducklings and the Roo does not pay attention to them. Not negative or positive.

I just had a rooster wander into my yard and start hanging with my hens. He's been here four days. I notice when I toss goodies out to the chickens, he will make the "mother sound", a soft cluck, cluck, cluck which indicates the mother has food for the babies. He does that sound to alert the hens he has food for them. Strange. My duck just hatched ducklings and the Roo does not pay attention to them. Not negative or positive.

My boy always does this. He tidbits and alerts like crazy whenever I bring out treats. It's quite hilarious to watch him take all the credit.

I think many have the capacity for the behavior. I will be pushing too more, one a grandson of Slugger to do the same. The social setting is key. Only one hen in the harem. When chicks hatch the rooster immediately begins bonding with them which is evident by his holding head down among them as the chicks and rooster talk back and forth very quietly. That will be followed by intensive foraging together where the rooster scratches up eats for the chicks just like the mother does. Using feeds not as effective for this as rooster does not provide same benefits as when all are after hard to get forages.

Back
Top Bottom