What to Look for in a Broody Rooster

Very interesting thread and educational from a newbs perspective. I was saddedened to read about Slugger's demise. Are all of your chickens game birds?
About half are game birds. The balance is slightly in favor of American Dominiques over Missouri Dominiques. Latter is a composite of first two I am developing to approximate the proto-American Dominique prior to introduction of Oriental blood and splitting from Barred Plymouth Rock.

Tomorrow, I will be teaching a class of college students about chicken behavior emphasizing communication. Part of what I want to do is demonstrate paternal care they approaches the broody level shown previously in thread. A hen that hatched a clutch yesterday (Easter chicks) was housed in a nest box with rooster sitting on top of it. My hope is he was close enough to hen and chicks to start sound exchange that helps get process started. He has already greatly reduced his crowing frequency relative to yesterday during same interval. Today he and hen will be housed in pens that are in contact with each other. Chicks will be able to drift freely back and forth to interact with the adults. We will see if full on broodiness can be induced in 36 hours. I have no idea how long the process really takes.

Setup from above. We have 6 chicks. The chicks do not hesitate to run about under rooster when food is present. The hen has not demonstrated any animosity towards this rooster, in part because he was the one she was penned with as she produced the clutch.
20190422_201034.jpg

Setup from above. We have 6 chicks. The chicks do not hesitate to run about under rooster when food is present. The hen has not demonstrated any animosity towards this rooster, in part because he was the one she was penned with as she produced the clutch.
View attachment 1748653
so does that mean he is the father or just there why she was broody?

This guy is on track to be full on broody. Two prior attempts where a no go. Change appears to coincide with start of flight feather replacement. He moves around less than would otherwise. He also is not defecating in the nest. He goes to roost / nest a solid two hours before before everyone else goes to roost. Note how he holds hackles as if scared. He hides a lot not being as showy when off the nest.

BROODY ROOSTER EDGAR AND SALLIE.jpg

Yes, every year and likely with yours right now even in the north with an ornamental flock. Early stages of molt most people are not aware of.
I usually don't see any molting until the first week of August...the cock is usually the first.
Would be hard to miss dropped flight feathers in coop and run....but he's due far an exam will spread is wings and take a look.

<chuckles>My flock is not ornamental, but a layer flock.
BCM cock and mostly EE and OE females offspring of the CCL hens...
...tho there is one 'ornament' bird...an SLW.
Your birds are not ornamental?... then what are they?

Check spread wings of adults for incoming feathers where replacement on both sides in a stepwise pattern; your birds should have started replacement process within the last month. Commercial high output egg producers have the more compressed molting pattern with delayed start.

Back
Top Bottom