What to look for in a used hen

Cockledoo

Chirping
Jun 11, 2020
I am thinking on buying a grown bantam hen from a local seller and want to know what to look for to make sure its healthy. Do I need to quarantine the hen from my other chickens and if so how long? Thank you

Do I need to quarantine the hen from my other chickens and if so how long?
Yes, it's essential to prevent the new bird bringing disease(s) to your flock. At least 2 weeks, and longer if you have any doubts.
what to look for to make sure its healthy
This is what I'd do in your position
1. Ask why the seller is getting rid of it.
2. Look for clean bum, feet, eyes, nose, and check there's no sneezing, wheezing or other respiratory issues with it.
3. Red comb and wattles.
4. Watch it walk, eat, drink.
5. If anything gives me cause for concern, I don't take it. There are lots of other birds out there, and it's much easier to prevent disease than to treat it.

I am thinking on buying a grown bantam hen from a local seller and want to know what to look for to make sure its healthy. Do I need to quarantine the hen from my other chickens and if so how long? Thank you
Feel her body to see if she's thin, feel between her legs for any signs of fluid buildup, check for poopy butt, closely examine her skin for lice or mites or signs of them.
Her eyes should be bright and clear, no signs of swelling in her face, clear breathing, look in her mouth and smell her breath, examine her vent, the bottoms of her feet and her leg scales to ensure there is no bumblefoot, swelling in the joints and her scales are laying flat.
What condition are her feathers in?
If everything looks good, quarantine her as far from your flock (at least 40 feet and down wind if possible) for 30 days.

Feel her body to see if she's thin, feel between her legs for any signs of fluid buildup, check for poopy butt, closely examine her skin for lice or mites or signs of them.
Her eyes should be bright and clear, no signs of swelling in her face, clear breathing, look in her mouth and smell her breath, examine her vent, the bottoms of her feet and her leg scales to ensure there is no bumblefoot, swelling in the joints and her scales are laying flat.
What condition are her feathers in?
If everything looks good, quarantine her as far from your flock (at least 40 feet and down wind if possible) for 30 days.
Thank you so so much !!!

Yes, it's essential to prevent the new bird bringing disease(s) to your flock. At least 2 weeks, and longer if you have any doubts.

This is what I'd do in your position
1. Ask why the seller is getting rid of it.
2. Look for clean bum, feet, eyes, nose, and check there's no sneezing, wheezing or other respiratory issues with it.
3. Red comb and wattles.
4. Watch it walk, eat, drink.
5. If anything gives me cause for concern, I don't take it. There are lots of other birds out there, and it's much easier to prevent disease than to treat it.
Thank you !

Back
Top Bottom