what to look for when buying an Incubator

WaltonFarm

Hatching
8 Years
May 27, 2011
Hello I'm new to this stuff. I"m wanting to get into hatching my own eggs I just dont know what to look for in purchasing an incubator or what is the better type of incubator to get.

greenegglover

Songster
10 Years
Aug 14, 2009
Indiana
I have been looking for this answer too.....im thinking around 12-20 eggs? Any suggestions on a small size for begginers or is the hoverbator the way to go?
Thanks

WaltonFarm

Hatching
8 Years
May 27, 2011
Probably looking at hatching about 12 to 24 eggs at a time right now

Rbl4life

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 30, 2011
your over all best best bet, price and quality wise is the have bator 1588 by far

luvinrunnin

Songster
8 Years
May 12, 2011
Glad you posted this! Since I work 12 hr night shifts and am not here for up to 15+ hrs at a time, I REALLY need an incubator that I can rest assured that the humidity and temp will stay pretty well where they are supposed to. I do have a hubby and daughter that can check on them, but don't want to HAVE to rely on them to correct temps, etc.

I don't mind spending a few hundred $$$ for the peace of mind to know they will be okay. I know the bigger incubators cost way more than that, and I am sure I'll want one at some point, but need to not spend a fortune just right now if possible.

Thanks!

al6517

Real Men can Cook
11 Years
May 13, 2008
Almost any incubator other than the infamously terriable LG ( little Giant ) chick killer would be a safe bet. Please don't buy an LG even though some dillusional people have managed to hatch a chick or 2 from them, don't even think about getting one, they are Made in China and are nothing but Junk.

WTS the Hovabator's & Genisis brands work good as well as the Brinsea are all very good choices. get one with a fan/forced air and don't forget an egg turner. That should have you fixed right up, good luck.

P.S............ remember NO LG, NO LG, NO LG.

luvinrunnin

Songster
8 Years
May 12, 2011
Quote:Thanks for that info. I would be really peeved if I got an LG and didn't know better and then hated it! Is one brand better than the others for any specific reason?? I'm going to be looking for a used Genesis, but looking into the Hovabators and Brinsea as well. I'd like to hatch 25-50 eggs at a time. Probably more later......

colebarnhart

Songster
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
JENKS/GLENPOOL, OKLAHOMA
Quote:Could not AGREE more, I have the Little Giant and I would maybe give it 1 star out of 5. It's terrible!!!!! It might look like a good price, but when you add a turner and a fan, then you're better off just paying for the 1588 Genesis Hova-Bator

WaltonFarm

Hatching
8 Years
May 27, 2011
Thanks everyone for the information. I will get looking for one now that i have a few ideas. Thanks again

Top Bottom