What to look for when rehoming a rooster - Decision Made!

The Zoo

Songster
10 Years
May 13, 2009
Hayward, CA
I went to a ranch today that has a very large flock of chickens to see about them taking my roo.
They take all chickens that are offered to them and so have a large number of roos (interestingly enough, most seemed to be banty roos). The chickens all looked healthy to my untrained eye. There were a few missing tail feathers and I'm guessing they were pulled out but other than that they looked well cared for. This is a working ranch and they sell the eggs but never eat the hens or roos.

Anything else I should look for? The rancher was very clear in that they take hens and roos as a benefit to the community but that they aren't pets. He also asked that I bring a bag of feed when I brought the roo (this was an of course).

Last edited:
I find this amazing, and really think the rancher might be misleading you. No way can they take all roosters offered, or they would be soon overrun with roosters. Where do they keep them? Are they safe at night? Are the surplus roosters getting taken by predators? The humans may not be eating them, but they have to be going somewhere. Ask about coming checking on your x-rooster every month for the next year, and see what they say. The other problem I see here is most working farms do NOT want to take in random chickens- this is a great way to bring diseases into the established flock. Most working farms do not even want a random chicken to be anywhere near their flock. My skeptical brain things this is an easy way for the ranch to get a free bag of chicken food, and the rooster goes into someone's cook pot or dog's BARF diet (maybe not theirs) soon after arrival.

I find the best indicator that your roo is going to a new forever home, is that the person shows up, or answers the door and takes the roo. Never second guess what someone else does with THIER roo.
roll.png

Forever doesnt always have to be a long time.
wink.png

Last edited:
What is the name of the ranch?
I realized I did not actually answer the question---

Things I would look for if I was rehoming my rooster- 1) Small family flock, no current rooster to fight with 2) Close by so I can drive by occasionally and spy on him (not really spy, but at least call a few months later and check on him) 3) secure coop and healthy looking birds 3) someone who has had roosters before and doesn't mind the noise and understands basic rooster behavior, and neighbors that don't mind a rooster.

Quote:
Unfortunately I have to agree with this. Never thought about them getting a free bag of feed. Where will humans stop with taking advantage of each other? But who knows, maybe he is a good guy. Karma sucks if he isn't.

Yeah...it does sound a bit off to me too, at least if you're wanting to rehome your rooster with the intent that he be given a good permanent home. EVERYWHERE you look, people are giving away roosters, so this guy would be overrun w/them if he was taking them in and giving them a home. Now if you're okay with the rooster being given away for stew pot use, then no big deal...maybe or maybe not worth a bag of feed from you to not have to do it yourself or to have a "clean conscience" about getting rid of your bird??? If I had a mean bird, I would have no problems giving it up to someone else to process, but I'd appreciate their honesty about it. But if the rooster was a pet type of bird, it would make a big difference to me.

I agree w/the poster who suggested you should ask if it would be okay to stop by to see the rooster from time to time, and see how he reacts... Who knows, maybe he is being up-front???

Where to look? Don't look back. Lets all face this one issue as it relates to raising chickens. Very very few roosters are needed or wanted, such is the case with your fella. If you have a grave concern as to what happens to him keep him with you and make sure of that. If you find someone to take him attach no strings, not fair not respectful and not in the long run good for anyone.

In my mind the price of a bag of feed is probably a fair price for someone doing with this rooster what you are not able to. Take him to the vet and see if they will euthanize the bird for less than 10 dollars or so. Your bird depending on his age is somewhere between fairly decent dinner to "not usable" Why would anyone take a rooster and "forever home" him if the bird served no purpose. In that birds natural life time he will likely eat more than a bag of feed.

If one's position is such that it is unethical or irresponsible in some way to eat or othewise dispose of a rooster then in my mind it is unethical to keep chickens, unless of course one purchases straight run and keeps all roosters or hatches themselves and keeps every bird.

I just cant see it any other way

Last edited:
In re homing a rooster I always sell them for more than you could buy a roaster for in the supermarket. If they are willing to pay and don't try to bargain, then I know they will not be eating him.

What I would look for is someone willing to take him off your hands if you're unable to keep him.....and be glad you found someone, no matter what their plans are for the roo.

I take my extra roos to a local poultry auction. I know probably 99.9% of them end up either in the frying pan or the stew pot. Would I rather they went to a "forever" home, sure I would but I can't keep them all and once they're someone else's roo they are free to do what they want with them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom