What to order?

needlessjunk

Crowing
7 Years
May 19, 2014
Georgetown, TX
So it appears that I have 2 male pekins, which is a problem since I want eggs. So I'm looking to order 2 females for now and will order 2 more in the spring when I put in an order for chicks. I will get everything sexed and I don't understand why all the feed stores only sell straight runs. Anyway I was thinking about ordering a cayuga and either a blue Swedish or khaki Campbell. I know KC are reliable layers but would the size difference be a problem if they are all females? I would like to get a welsh harlequin in the spring and know they are also smaller. These gals will not be with my pekins, I haven't decided if they are going to the freezer or not.

I have Cayuga, Swedish, KC and WH in with Pekins. They are all female but are with a Rouen drake who is the same size as Pekins. IMO there is not that big of a a size difference.They are all great breeds. The reason feed store order straight run is because it is cheaper .

Last edited:
Thank you, now I'm thinking of getting all 3 since shipping is so much and just not get any come spring. Does anyone have a preference of Metzer Farms over Murray McMurry. I'm in TX so it's going to be a long trip for the little duckies either way. Or is there somewhere else I should be looking? Ideal is done with ducks till the spring and Hill Country Poultry is pretty much done as well.

I've ordered from Metzers a couple times and the ducklings arrived safe and healthy. I got WH and rouens, you can definitely mix breeds. Plus Metzers has fantastic customer service. I don't think CA to TX is that big of a deal, they will still get there in two days.

Back
Top Bottom