What to order?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by needlessjunk, Oct 1, 2014.

1. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    So it appears that I have 2 male pekins, which is a problem since I want eggs. So I'm looking to order 2 females for now and will order 2 more in the spring when I put in an order for chicks. I will get everything sexed and I don't understand why all the feed stores only sell straight runs. Anyway I was thinking about ordering a cayuga and either a blue Swedish or khaki Campbell. I know KC are reliable layers but would the size difference be a problem if they are all females? I would like to get a welsh harlequin in the spring and know they are also smaller. These gals will not be with my pekins, I haven't decided if they are going to the freezer or not.

2. DUCKOBSESSED

DUCKOBSESSED Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    I have Cayuga, Swedish, KC and WH in with Pekins. They are all female but are with a Rouen drake who is the same size as Pekins. IMO there is not that big of a a size difference.They are all great breeds. The reason feed store order straight run is because it is cheaper .

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  3. needlessjunk

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Thank you, now I'm thinking of getting all 3 since shipping is so much and just not get any come spring. Does anyone have a preference of Metzer Farms over Murray McMurry. I'm in TX so it's going to be a long trip for the little duckies either way. Or is there somewhere else I should be looking? Ideal is done with ducks till the spring and Hill Country Poultry is pretty much done as well.

4. DUCKOBSESSED

Jun 10, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    I have ordered both and have had great experiences. But metzer lets you order sexed WH I believe McMurry is straight run.

5. needlessjunk

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    I check both this morning and it was almost the same price for shipping and 3 sexed ducklings. Same ship date too. Decisions, decisions...

6. Howard-the-Duck

Howard-the-Duck Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2014
    Rouen are some of the most beautiful ducks metzer sells. Not sure you can mix though.

7. MtnGrl

MtnGrl New Egg

Sep 6, 2014
    I've ordered from Metzers a couple times and the ducklings arrived safe and healthy. I got WH and rouens, you can definitely mix breeds. Plus Metzers has fantastic customer service. I don't think CA to TX is that big of a deal, they will still get there in two days.

8. DUCKOBSESSED

Jun 10, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    Most hatchery let you order different breeds and ship them all together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by