What to package poultry in for freezer camp?

ChickenPotPie

Songster
11 Years
Jan 23, 2009
California
I am about to process my first large batch of Freedom Rangers. I would love to freeze these meaties, our small heritage turkeys, and rabbit but am not sure of the best choice of long term packaging. How do you package your birds for the deep freezer? What do use and where do you get it? Are you please with the results? The ease of packaging? Please share.
smile.png

I haven't done a big butchering yet, but when I do I'm going to use the actual poultry bags that you put them in and dip in hot water, it shrink wraps them in it for long term freezing. I'd have to google them, because I can't remember the website I saw them on.

I know a lot of people on here use foodsavers. If you don't have one, check craigslist! A lot of people buy them on a whim, and don't use them. I got mine (an older model granted) and a bunch of bags for $30. I then buy my bags off www.thesweetattack.com they have awesome bags at a fraction of the cost of real food saver bags. I believe people buy an 11" roll and cut them to size. I would think Gallon bags would work too? Guess it depends on how you are freezing? (cut up or whole?)

Zip Loc, shrink bags, or vacuum seal. LOL Do I have another vote for one of these to break the 3 way tie? I do appreciate the suggestion for getting a sealer for less $ because they do look very expensive. Not only do I not have the money for one but I'd hate to have another electric gadget. I admit, though, they do look very cool!

I already have gallone Zip Loc bags and I think they'll have to do for now. I'll just cut up the chicken to pack in those and try to get out as much air as possible.

I'd really like to have some whole chicken for roasting, though. I had thought about trying the shrink bags for that. If anyone reads this that has tried them already, please do tell me how you liked or disliked them.
big_smile.png
Thanks!

I tried the bags with twist tie but by the end of the year had touches of freezer burn. Now I use a vacumm sealer (just a cheapie from wal mart) it works absolutely great, I'm very happy with it.

Quote:
Honestly when our we processed our turkeys we just used plain cheap 15 gal trash bags.. Doubled em up and squeezed the air out and they seem to be doing well

If I did not have a vacaum sealer, and I had to freeze a quantity of chicken, I would do one sample the way I freeze sea food (shrimp & fish), and see how the chicken would be when thawed. For sea food, I use a zip lock bag, putting the items being frozen in, then filling with water, and zipping closed squeezing out some of the water, leaving no air pocket. Seafood will then keep in the freezer forever without any deteriorization, and when thawed is as fresh as when first processed. Seafood is too moist to vacaum seal, vacuam sealing will only work with a dry product, as any moisture is drawn out by the vacuam, and ruins the sealing action.

lakeman..have you ever tried just par-freezing the fish on wax paper, then throwing it in the vacuum sealer? I do this for all my meat, just because if you don't, it sucks all the delish juice out of em! I leave em in the freezer in the bag i'm going to vac seal them in for about 2 hours, then pull them out, vac seal and it's done!

We used to use the water bag method, but just found 10 bags of bass that went rancid
sad.png
Not sure how it happened, but the fish turned to mush and we had upset tummies. Was only from last summer, so a year old? I now do everything in vac sealing. Had good results thus far.

ETA: I know purchasing another machine for the kitchen can leave you spectical, but i've had mine for only 6 months (i think, maybe a bit longer) and I LOVE it. For Christmas I may ask for the bigger beefier version (the game one). I use it at least 3 times a week, more so in the summer when I have produce to freeze as well. I use it more than my beloved Kitchenaid mixer!! I really wanted to make sure I had it for deer season, but I use it all the time. Even the cool feature of re-sealing our potato chip bags/cereal bags/etc is worth it in itself! In fact, I'm not quite sure i'd understand how to freeze things without it!

However, millions of people frozen meat before the vac sealer was invented, so I'm sure you will find another way! I would believe freezer bags would work just as well. Just smoosh out as much air as possible. However long storage may produce freezer burn. If so,
hu.gif
just add more seasonings! Freezer burn isn't gonna kill ya! (at least last time I checked!)

Last edited:
I vacuum seal my chicken halves but the cost of vacuum bags is high. I'm thinking of trying butcher/freezer paper to see how it does. I grind beef and use freezer paper so I don't know why it won't work for chicken halves. Anyone think otherwise?

Back
Top Bottom