What to plant in the run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by RBOutdoors, Sep 8, 2014.

1. RBOutdoors

RBOutdoors Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Any body have suggestions for plants that we could plant inside the run to attract bug and make it look nicer but that the chickens won't eat. We could fence them off till they get good and established. I was think knock out roses should work.

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Those should work, roses are safe for chickens if they eat the flowers, I would put rocks around the bases and chicken wire around the plants til they establish.

3. RBOutdoors

Sep 4, 2009
    I looked around the site and couldn't find a good list. Sorry if there is already one posted.

4. RBOutdoors

Sep 4, 2009
    I was also thinking of some vining squash (something very prolific) that the base are is covered with chicken wire to protect it. That way it could get established but the ladies could eat the rest as it grows out. I am guessing that it would get plenty of fertilizer so it would try and keep pushing new shoots.

5. jentralala

jentralala Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2014
    Pumpkins, cucumbers, rose bushes, beans, juniper, mulberry, berry bushes...as long as you protect the base, most things should do well. I would make sure to offer them lost of other nice leafy things, and maybe put in a grazing frame where you grow some yummies for them, to keep them distracted more from the plants.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by