What to plant/sow in “resting” chicken yard?

Question: what should I sew to replenish the yard not in use?
What is growing there now?
What is your goal?
Plants the birds can eat?
Plants they can't destroy to protect the soil from eroding?
Deep rooted grasses well established can help with that.
Maybe some of each?

Keep in mind the soil may be compacted and inundated with high levels of nitrogen and phosphorous(I think)...that can be a challenge to getting anything to grow well.

It would also help to know.....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
1581253177148.png

Middle TN - on the highland rim with more acidic soil. I would just like to prevent it from eroding. If it is hard to get anything to grow in those conditions then would clover be the best bet? What is growing now - not sure. Their coop, run and yard areas are at edge of pasture where the woods start.
Thanks for the help

There are several seed companies that sell "chicken mix" seed or varients. Usually they are mixes.

There are many good cover crops that would work for chickens - and you can do a mix of those that would work in your areas.

It was mentioned in another thread that one person went out and bought 50# bags of "wild bird seed" and sowed that. Came up gangbusters and was a mix the pastured chickens went crazy over. Much, much less costly then buying the other seed types.
That's brilliant!!

Middle TN - on the highland rim with more acidic soil. I would just like to prevent it from eroding. If it is hard to get anything to grow in those conditions then would clover be the best bet? What is growing now - not sure. Their coop, run and yard areas are at edge of pasture where the woods start.
Thanks for the help
Not sure clover would hold the soil, and many types are annuals.
Something with deep roots, native grasses comes to mind.

Back
Top Bottom