What to put in duck run?

creaturelife

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 10, 2013
my i need some thing to put in my duck run its really wet and muddy in there and i own 14 ducks and counting and they have a good size run i dont want to put sand cause the sun is hitting it during the day any know any thing that will work

With great respect I want to respond to subhanalah that my method of adding high-carbon materials to the duck pen results in a good earthy smelling soft moist but not sodden surface that worms are drawn to, that the ducks can forage in. It is an aerobic medium, where a natural composting process takes place.

The other factor in this situation is what type of soil or ground one is proposing to do this on. For example, here in Michigan, we have many types of soil here, dense, heavy clay (what I have), sand, rock. What works here might not work elsewhere. I have done the landscape fabric on top of my clay, then pea gravel, then sand. I like it and it works here. Of course, some form of shade protection does need to be offered for summer.

I use pea gravel and sand under the swim pans, and chopped leaves and straw elsewhere.

I also made sure there is some slope so that water runs off and does not pool in the pen.

I have put a bunch of non toxic cat litter in big mud puddles my ducks have made, it dried them pretty fast.

my run is right where the sun will hit of the morning and the after noon so i dont know if gravel will work but if i do some thing like straw or hay i m looking at about $100 just to put a thick layer how many time a year does every one have to add new to there run i do my coop about every 2 weeks and i might look into some of that wheat hull stuff never herd of it befor

Backing up-- why are you not liking the idea of sand bcz of sun? I have sun & sand and its ok. The organic matter I have used (like straw and leaves) has resulted in an icky stinky mucky mess that took me over a month to get righted. I'd never do that again.

Last edited:
creaturelife, how big is the run?

I would consider putting a swale (shallow channel - I mean just 3 inches deep and 6 inches wide - at the low end of the run, directing the water away from the run, perhaps to a garden or grassy area.

Think about a few bags of sawdust pellets - here they are $6 a bag, so maybe $20. I can get a bale of excellent quality chopped straw for $12 and it covers 100 sf of the day pen. Not thick, but a nice fresh layer. Chopped oak leaves might also be good, if you know anyone with one of those shredder vacuum machines.

But the first thing I would do is direct the water out of the pen.

Back
Top Bottom