what to put in run for chickens to perch or play on?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stephenlouis, Sep 27, 2011.

1. stephenlouis

stephenlouis Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2010
    Looking for pics and ideas of whats in your run for chickens to enjoy/entertain?

2. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I haven't taken any updated photos in a while but basically, anything they can stand up on, mine love. There are a few logs in their run. I also have a few large rocks in there.

And recently, I picked up two large cinder blocks and put a 8' long piece of 2x4 through the holes and they love to hop up there and preen, etc. I wanted something that wasn't permanent so I can move it to the sunnier side of the run in the winter, shady side in the summer, etc.

3. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    Hee hee. My hubby made see-saws for them. Hilarious![​IMG] They go up one side and then down the other, sometimes flipping another bird off the other end.

4. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    Quote:I love that idea! I'll have to try it when I visit my Mom for 10 days next month!

5. stephenlouis

stephenlouis Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2010
    yes i am interested in moveable stuff .....good ideas thx

6. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

dh told me there is a wooden ladder in the basement that belonged to whoever lived here before. He's going to bring it up so I can let it sit in the sun (if we ever see the sun again [​IMG] ) for a few days and then put it in the run for them to jump up on. Right now we only have a couple of logs in there.

7. TDM

TDM Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a couple birds that enjoy roosting on electrical wire.

[​IMG]

8. tbridegroom

tbridegroom Out Of The Brooder

I need pics of this see-saw!!!!!!!..lol

9. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I picked up some bamboo the other day at the coast & used it in my runs for the birds to perch on. Here's some quail enjoying their new perches. I also added it to my chickens run as well.[​IMG]

RepeckaBecca likes this.
  10. chickchicks

chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    i am building a run at the moment its not huge but its good for the birds and they do free range when im home.

since its about say 6*5 ish
    should i bother puting anthingin it or should i leave it bare - its a grass floor .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by