What to put in the bottom of the coop?

murdeb

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 17, 2011
Sebastian, FL
The coop is finished! We are picking up the chickens in the am and I am still confused about the what to put in the bottom of the run. There is a little area under the actual coop that I thought about putting sand in for dust baths. But am at a lost for the floor of the run area. I have heard to use sand, most people don't seem to like the straw, has anyone heard of Hemcore? I live in Florida where the weather is warm for the most part, we do live in a neighborhood so I want to keep the smell down. If you lay down sand, do you scoop it like a litter box? Any advice would be appreciated!

Sand is good just scoop like kitty litter. Pine pellets or pine shavings you can sprinkle with food grade DE. All of these keep oder down. good luck !!

I know a guy who builds furniture for a hobby..i get all his shavings. It a size between commercial shavings and sawdust. Change it out every two weeks and it has a great oak smell.
in the run i am going to put sand down..right now its clay dirt and get stinky in the rain

I use ti have jus black dirt But I just put cand down a week ago and they love it! I have 24 chickens also in the coop I get shavings from a woos shop and I love those over the store bought they are fluffy and don't pack as tight

Back
Top Bottom