What to put in the bottom of the coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by murdeb, Sep 16, 2011.

1. murdeb

murdeb Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Sebastian, FL
    The coop is finished! We are picking up the chickens in the am and I am still confused about the what to put in the bottom of the run. There is a little area under the actual coop that I thought about putting sand in for dust baths. But am at a lost for the floor of the run area. I have heard to use sand, most people don't seem to like the straw, has anyone heard of Hemcore? I live in Florida where the weather is warm for the most part, we do live in a neighborhood so I want to keep the smell down. If you lay down sand, do you scoop it like a litter box? Any advice would be appreciated!

2. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    Sand is good just scoop like kitty litter. Pine pellets or pine shavings you can sprinkle with food grade DE. All of these keep oder down. good luck !!

3. sabianshepherds

sabianshepherds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Cleveland
    Quote:My vote too! Sand, with DE and sweet pdz.

4. yellowirenut

yellowirenut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
    I know a guy who builds furniture for a hobby..i get all his shavings. It a size between commercial shavings and sawdust. Change it out every two weeks and it has a great oak smell.
    in the run i am going to put sand down..right now its clay dirt and get stinky in the rain

5. wayne1614

wayne1614 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    I use ti have jus black dirt But I just put cand down a week ago and they love it! I have 24 chickens also in the coop I get shavings from a woos shop and I love those over the store bought they are fluffy and don't pack as tight

6. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:X2 about the sand the shavings are ok too shavings are what they are as long as it is not Cedar

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by