What to put in the run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by first time farmer, Jun 14, 2009.

1. first time farmer

first time farmer Songster

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I just made a new run for my chickens as the old one was too small for 14 chickens. Right now it is just your regular old dirt. Next weekend i will be putting the finishing touches on it. These are the bird netting to go ove the top so they cant fly out and the run floor. So to my question. Should i put sand in there or leave it the way it is?

Any advice is more than welcome

2. first time farmer

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Anybody?

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:You don't need anything in it, if you don't want. Sand is good if you will have a muddy run. My chickens free range all day so they spend very little time in the run. I usually put a couple inches of lawn clippings or leaves in it. Congrats on the new run.

Imp- My run is cleaner than the deck. [​IMG]

4. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Songster

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    Regular old dirt will turn into regular old mud unless you have the run covered. I chose sand and so far I love it.

Bill

5. Luvin Life

Luvin Life Songster

Apr 21, 2009
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    I have dirt in mine. It used to be grass of course! [​IMG] I also set up a few logs and such for them to jump on, they don't seem to mind. I'm sure sand would work too. Easy to clean if needed and they munch on it too!

6. first time farmer

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    This week in nh i swear we have gotten around 5 inches of rain. I think i will put some sand down. Is there any thing else i can put in there?

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Sandy is dandy. Mulch is, well... mulchy.

Stick with sand.

8. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Songster

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    Quote:I think we've had the same amount of rain right down here to your south. My sandy run has not puddled one bit. It also dries pretty fast.

Bill

9. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    we put leaves and scraps of food! mulch is great to scoop out and put on the plants~

10. first time farmer

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Mine is so muddy my mom yells at me every time i come in from the coop because my chippewas are all muddy and i track it in the house than she makes me clean it lol pain in the rear lol thats one more reason to use sand

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: