What to put in the run?

Other posts here have said if you put sand or gravel in a muddy run to make sure the run is dry when you add it. It will disappear into the mud otherwise.

Imp

You don't need anything in it, if you don't want. Sand is good if you will have a muddy run. My chickens free range all day so they spend very little time in the run. I usually put a couple inches of lawn clippings or leaves in it. Congrats on the new run.

Imp- My run is cleaner than the deck.

I hope to cut the grass tomorrow, if we don't get more rain. We've been kinda wet here lately.

I can just toss some grass clippings into the run? Won't it get slimy and rotten?

Quote:
Small run, covered, two walls. Really doesn't get very wet in there. Never had the clippings get slimy, just turn brown. Eventually I rake it out and dump into the compost bin. And add more, or in the fall/winter use leaves. The chicken crunch up the dry leaves too. I'm in the Seattle area so we don't get a lot of soaking rainstorms except Dec/Jan. mostly drizzle.

Imp

I've seen a couple posts about chickens getting long pieces of grass stuck in their crops. I mow at least once a week so I never get long strands.

Last edited:
Quote:
lau.gif

Me too! I kid you not, I dump out the ducks kiddie pool water and within minutes it is all gone. Within an hour the top layer is dry and sandy.

Today, I was trying to remove a huge tree stump so I dug a big hole all the way around it and then used water to expose the roots so that I could cut them, I had 2 garden hoses going for 3 hours, by the time I finished lunch (20mins), there was NO water in the hole.

My chickens free range, but I put some large tree stumps and branches in the run, for those days I don't let them free range. They use them for shade, wind blocks and to hang out on.

Last edited:
I put a childs plastic 3 by 3 plastic cube (used to have a slide attached) all primary colors with circles and squares cut out for fun, in my run.

The birds love it. And it's easy to spray clean....

Back
Top Bottom