What to put on backs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Marko, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Marko

Marko Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2009
    Hey Guys so i do have a pecking problem, They have been attacking my Turkey Toms butt a bit and i want to put something on that they wont peck at! what other than the Blue-kote can you put on? is that stuff just like blue paint?? So a skin spray on paint should work eh? or maybe another remedy?

2. BrahmaRoo

BrahmaRoo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2010
    AZ City
    I used Bag Balm to solve the problem with a chicken. Don't know if it tastes bad to other birds, but maybe worth a try,

3. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    Quote:Blu-kote is an antiseptic and antifungal medicine. It's good for wounds. It also disguises the wounds so the other birds don't peck at it.

4. stryeyz

stryeyz Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2010
    north of Spokane, WA
    I don't know the name of it, but we buy a stuff that is specifically for birds to stop pecking. It contains coal tar, cloves I think...maybe tea tree oil? I know it's a mixture of things that I found to be relatively safe, meaning I didn't mind my future meat or egg birds to have it on their skin (and possibly ingest a little bit of it). We got it at Big R (much like a TSC or other farm supply store). I think it was called a No Pick Lotion?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by