What to scatter for free ranging.

They like to stay under cover of trees, houses, porches, etc. and keep familiar territory in view. At dusk, every night and I mean every night they will troop back into the coop. Chickens do everything naturally, kind of pre-programmed and you can't "train" a chicken to do anything.

I train them to do all sorts of stuff, including coming to specific names. Others do better with clickers. They learn and do so pretty quick. Some like games and red jungle fowl are impressive in what they can learn when it comes to getting more food.

Just make sure the chickens eat all the food before the next day, or that it doesn't go on wet ground. If scratch molds it can give chickens cancer, be careful.

Just make sure the chickens eat all the food before the next day, or that it doesn't go on wet ground. If scratch molds it can give chickens cancer, be careful.

You can throw scratch on wet ground -- it's not going to mold in the 5 minutes it takes the chickens to clean it up. You shouldn't store any feed in wet conditions, of course. Just scatter a reasonable amount for them to enjoy and you'll be fine.

I used scratch to train mine to follow me to their run whenever I want them back inside. They literally walk at my feet like I'm the pied piper (even if my hands are empty) as long as I'm making the familiar "chick-chick-treat" call. Chickens are food-motivated and CAN be trained.

Mine stay within 100 yards of the coop and run either in the pasture or in the woods. Now if they see either me or my wife walking around within their sight they will RUN to see if we have anything for them. Crazy chickens...

Yeah, scattered goodies don't last long. Over at the farm, mine would roam a good 3 acre area. I wish they had stayed within 100'. They were well beyond 300' and going father. Of course, we had a 60 acre farm then. Now we are just under 2.5 acres and I can't let them range at all because the neighbor won't keep his dogs under control (yes, I asked him to).

Mine stay within 100 yards of the coop and run either in the pasture or in the woods. Now if they see either me or my wife walking around within their sight they will RUN to see if we have anything for them. Crazy chickens...

X2
Mine come running to me if I'm outside, they'll even ignore the dogs with me.

My hens and roosters don't leave my mowed yard. That gives them about 3 acres. They stop where the grass gets tall.
For some reason my chickens don't cross the road either!
smile.png

They also don't like Snow! They stay in the coop if the ground is white.
I do give them scratch in front of the coop occasionally. They will follow me like a bunch of cats if i let out a couple of clucks on my way to the coop. It's crazy to see them coming from all four corners of the yard running and flapping towards me, gathered around my feet as i try to walk to the coop.

Yeah, scattered goodies don't last long. Over at the farm, mine would roam a good 3 acre area. I wish they had stayed within 100'. They were well beyond 300' and going father. Of course, we had a 60 acre farm then. Now we are just under 2.5 acres and I can't let them range at all because the neighbor won't keep his dogs under control (yes, I asked him to).

I scatter goodies on daily basis. Ideally they eat all when first encountered, otherwise you will be feeding wildlife or have eats go bad on ground.

My hens and roosters don't leave my mowed yard. That gives them about 3 acres. They stop where the grass gets tall.
For some reason my chickens don't cross the road either!
smile.png

They also don't like Snow! They stay in the coop if the ground is white.
I do give them scratch in front of the coop occasionally. They will follow me like a bunch of cats if i let out a couple of clucks on my way to the coop. It's crazy to see them coming from all four corners of the yard running and flapping towards me, gathered around my feet as i try to walk to the coop.

Mine do same most of year with tall grass. My games and red jungle fowl will fly a couple hundred feet rather than walk through it each day. In order to get my flocks to forage tall fescue pasture I have to mow strips into it. Later in season they will penetrate the tall grass making me think they may be avoiding chiggers earlier in production season.

Back
Top Bottom