What to Substitute for Duckling Feed?

My 3 week old ducklings just ran out of feed and I didn't have time to run to the store. I need something to hold them off for a day or so. Any thoughts?
Do you have adult bird feed that you could crush to make your own crumbles? The are sticky thread around for mixing your own feed, but most of them focus on adult bird I believe. You need to make sure that they get enough protein, that will be the biggest thing, access to pasture should help but it's not enough on its own.

Do you have adult bird feed that you could crush to make your own crumbles? The are sticky thread around for mixing your own feed, but most of them focus on adult bird I believe. You need to make sure that they get enough protein, that will be the biggest thing, access to pasture should help but it's not enough on its own.
No, I only have chicken feed. Will that work?

No, I only have chicken feed. Will that work?
What is the protein percentage? Is it layer feed or maintenance? Does it have added calcium?

If you have a maintenance ration or all flock or something similar it should be ok if only for 2 days or so, but you will need to add something else as well to increase the protein.

Don't just feed them the pellets, find a way to crush them into a crumble (blender?)

Others might have other opinions. Obviously this is not ideal, but if it's a true emergency that you have no way of getting more feed, it should work in a pinch.

Back
Top Bottom