What to use besides egg cartons?

joe17

Songster
11 Years
Nov 25, 2009
Louisiana
I dont want my egg in the bator to get rolled round and all mixed up. The egg cartons work well but cant really fit in my brinsea well soo.......... I was thinking, can I use a cupcake paper cups? Any more suggestions? What did you use? Did you even use something to hold your eggs? I have shipped eggs so should I use something to hold them up or should I just let them hatch without putting them in anything? I dont know what to do =/

There was a guy on here that posted some pictures from when he hatched and he made paper cups so maybe paper cups might work. I have a question for you? Can you take egg cartons and cut between each egg cup and stand you eggs that way? I have never used the egg carton method before but today I put my eggs in egg cartons small side down. I don't know when I should go on lockdown. I have 2 different dates in my incubator right now. I have some due to hatch the 12th and some due to hatch the 14th. I was thinking maybe Thursday the 10th. What do you think?

I usually go into lockdown on the 18th day of incubation. You can always go into lockdown a day early if you see a pip in an egg before the scheduled date. I usually leave the whole egg carton. I tried individual cups but they kept falling over especially when they hatch, they fall over. You need atleast 4 cups together to stay stable. I will try using the bottom of a couple cups. That should work good. Thanks!

Normally I do not use anything to hatch eggs in. However, it is strawberry season right now and you can actually use those little plastic baskets the strawberries (or other fruits/veggies) come in to use in your incubator. Those little baskets will let through all the air and humidity needed for a successful hatch. Works much better than a Styrofoam or cardboard egg carton.

Quote:
What model is your Brinsea? A table top would fit at least 4 baskets. I am not sure about the smaller Octagon version if this is what you have.

Back
Top Bottom