what to use for top of run?

annegw3

Hatching
10 Years
Feb 26, 2009
northern WI
I am newly looking into raising chickens. We have a shed we are turning into a coop, but my question lies in the run.

It would be more of a yard, 40 by 50, with the coop within it. I will have a 6 foot fence, with about a foot buried underground to prevent diggers. What is acceptable to use over the top? I wanted to just use the netting like for the game birds. Will that be sufficient?
Thanks!

Are you looking to keep yours in, or others out? If you are worried about predators swooping in, you can use some heavy garden string, and just loop it across the top of the run. Or the game bird netting would work for both instances. You could even get some garden bird netting, the kind used to keep birds from eating your berries.

welcome-byc.gif
yep, with a span that wide it will keep your cost down. My run is covered with steel roofing, however my coop is on the outside of the pen area.

~ bigzio

I want to keep others out and mine in. BUT I also want to keep racoons out. (Being in northern WI in the woods, we have a few!)With a span that big, I couldn't economically wire the whole top. Thus, my problem.

Thanks for the suggestion on shade. That wasn't even in my thoughts as of yet.

I'm also in the woods, and the coons are only a problem after dark and only part of the year. My flock free ranges during the day and is locked into the coop/pen area after dark. If you decide to free range, then you can make the secure area smaller, saving money and labor.

~ bigzio

Rolls of wildlife netting found in the garden center at Lowes. You can staple it across in rows then use twine to tie the sections together. So far it has worked great for me and low cost.

Back
Top Bottom