what to use if fermenting feed..

amyburemt

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 7, 2015
I was hoping to gain some insight on fermenting chicken feed from anyone who has done it. Do you actually ferment the store bought feed or do you buy specific grains for it? and what is the point of fermenting can it acutally reduce the amount of feed you are giving?
thank you

Here's a link to a huge thread that will answer your questions.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/fermented-feeds-anyone-using-them.645057/

:goodpost:

Fermenting can increase some B vitamins and can make some of the protein more bio-available. It can also provide probiotics - to what extent depends on the ferment.
But IMHO, the biggest benefit is that it both binds up the fines in the mass and prevents billing out - both of which save lots of waste.

x2!!!

I started some chicks at 4 weeks and some at 8 weeks. The younger batch took to FF much more completely. Earlier the better it seems, although everyone eats it. The little guys attack the stuff.

Sorry, yes I ferment starter, grower, all flock. Even scratch grains, I throw a few spoonfuls into their feeder on cold afternoons before bed. Alfalfa cubes ferment well, but just soaking makes those delicious also.

Back
Top Bottom