what to use on hens back - other hens starting to pick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NC29mom, Jul 29, 2010.

1. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    I have a hen that has lost feathers on top of her back. Well, she went broody and I was glad because she got to be all to herself and could heal some. Well, she didn't heal as fast as I thought. Some of the feathers have started to come back, but they are very short. What can I use (besides an apron or saddle) to prevent the other hens from picking on her back? I wish there was something I could use to keep the rooster off of her until she healed. I just don't have anywhere to put her by herself right now. We have 1 rooster and 13 hens in the pen she's in. They free range the better part of the day, and it's not really a problem then, just when they are in close contact.

All help appreciated!

2. chickenmom1

chickenmom1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    I sometimes use bag balm because it's antiseptic and sometimes I use the blue stuff in the spray can. I can't think of the name of it right now but I will find it for you if you don'tn have it. Good luck, I don't think anything will work to keep the other chickens off her. I keep my hens when they have problems in a dog pen with an igloo for the moment.
    J

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Sometimes the feathers don't grow out until they molt- it can be 6 months!

I cut an oval of lightweight fleece the size of the back and a little extra, then cut out a little hole for the tail at the bottom, then 2 c-shaped slits for the wings- this allows a little cover for the shoulders if the roo has worn those out, too. Works great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by