What to Use to Keep Away Predators

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Thunder Bird, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Thunder Bird

Thunder Bird Out Of The Brooder

So I just buried my hen, and I read that I should use lime to cover the spot she was buried so no raccoons find her. I want to know what else I can use because the raccoons are going to find her one day and if they get used to the lime juice...
    Anyways, if there are any spices, strong smells that you can find in your kitchen that would keep raccoons away. There has been raccoon dung in my yard and no cat sightings, but no chances between me and those chicken-eaters.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  3. duckmanjim

duckmanjim Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2015
    Georgia
    Not the citrus "lime" the chemical "lime" that will expedite the decomposition process!

1 person likes this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Bury em deep at least 2 feet of dirt between the body and the surface of the ground.
    When I buried my dog I put a piece of 2x4 fencing about 6 inches down to stop any diggers.

5. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    More particularly the chemical Calcium Hydroxide that can be used to amend the soils acid nature when burring bodies, thus reducing the odor. It is thought that coffins were once made from solid limestone for this reason.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  6. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    The best way to keep raccoons away from your poultry is with strong walls, pens, and electric fences. I also have had quite a bit of luck using small chunks of lead traveling at a high rate of speed. A raccoon hating dog also works, most of the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by