What to when my chickens won't eat

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by PreppyRooster2, Feb 1, 2016.

1. PreppyRooster2

PreppyRooster2 New Egg

Feb 18, 2015
    Hello fellow hen raisers,

I've been raising hens for a few years now and know my birds well enough to know that they hate change. This previous weekend I made a feed run and my feed store have changed suppliers. I'm now left with hens who are on strike. I have no more of the old food and need help.
    Thanks

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Do your hens enjoy moistened food? Most chickens love when you add water to their feed. This might help them learn to enjoy it. You might also want to try mixing oatmeal or a little cooked egg to their feed. They'll learn to eat it eventually but these are some ideas to help them get started.

Good luck!

3. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    Add beer.
    I don't know if it will help, but I know mine like staying up later and playing cards and stuff when I give it to them.

4. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Funny Joe!

I moisten the feed and add a little apple cider vinegar to it. You do not have to ferment the feed for days either. I tend to make mine in the morning about an hour before feeding time. It swells a LOT so cover the feed to be given with about 1/2 inch of water then let it sit. I also only give them enough of the wet feed that they can finish it within about an hour. We are getting freezing temps so that way it gets eaten before it can freeze.
    Cooked rice or oatmeal will also encourage them to take a bite. Don't panic to much they will eat eventually usually.

Cooked scrambled egg is a good suggestion too. Mine also go nuts for canned mackerel.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Take all treats away and just offer there feed. You can try wetting the feed some with un-sweetened apple juice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by