What to wrap them in

kjpanda

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Spokane Valley, WA
My son and I will be processing the remaining 26 meaties in a couple of weeks. We did 4 last week, and surprisingly only took us 30 minutes from kill to fridge. Plucking was much easier than I thought it was going to be. They weren't as big as I had hoped at 6 weeks, so we are letting the rest grow some more. I have been searching for an answer to my question, but haven't found it yet, so here goes.

I know the birds have to "rest" for 2 or 3 days prior to freezing, but what do you wrap them in? A sealed Ziploc bag? An open Ziploc bag? Loosely wrapped in Saran Wrap? I will either shrink wrap or Seal-A-Meal them for freezing, but want to make sure I handle them correctly first.

Looking forward to feasting on them, but my God, they are pooping machines!!!!!!!

For just a rest. I have mine in a cheap 13 gallon trash bag, air squeezed out and twisted up and turned under.

One they have rested. I either cook them or freeze them. To freeze I take them out and repackage.

I let my "rest" in a large cooler filled with bags of ice. I do NOT put the birds in anything while they are resting. Personally, I am afraid of using a garbage bag because they are not manufactured to come in contact with food.

Thank you all so much! This forum is a Godsend.
hugs.gif

I have all the birds together in a large container. I place plastic wrap over the top and then push it down so it is in contact with the birds and also still seals the edges of the top.

I've found that the birds should be well drained or, even better, I use a rack in the bottom of the container to keep the birds up out of any water that drains off of them. The water will be tinted pink with blood and it will stain the skin that is sitting in the water for a couple of days. It won't hurt you, but it isn't very attractive,

Back
Top Bottom