What took my chick?

Chicken101-07

Songster
Aug 18, 2019
I bought some broiler chicks,have them in a metal bin I bought from TSC,I took them out for the day,I put them inside when it's night,take them out in the morning,I put them in the porch,the porch is high,around 10 feet off the ground I doubt the chick made it through 5 steps walking down,can't even fly up,there is no reason for them to get out,they have food,water and heat,in the morning there was everybody,this afternoon I'm missing one,there's no sign of struggle,no blood and no feathers,also no body in the porch,just like she dissapeared into the air,what could it have taken it?there's hawks,raccoons and squirrels,there's a squirrel that always come to eat the bird feed almost every day,are this threat to chicks?.

How old are the chicks? Is the porch enclosed or protected so they can't fall off? Are there any cats around? Could a crow or raven get into the porch and carry it off?

How old are the chicks? Is the porch enclosed or protected so they can't fall off? Are there any cats around? Could a crow or raven get into the porch and carry it off?
About a one week old,it's got a railing but not completely enclosed,no cats around,I've seen crows.but the porch has a roof,I'm only worried about the squirrel because it usually visits the porch.

I don't think the squirrel would be a problem to the chicks but I'm not 100% certain. I've heard they will go after eggs in addition to the feed .... if the chick fell off the porch, could a rat have gotten it? How about a snake?

Back
Top Bottom