what treat did you start with?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PinkHairGirl, Sep 6, 2011.

1. PinkHairGirl

PinkHairGirl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2011
    South Africa
    What was your chicks first treat? And at what age?
    I am so keen to give mine little bundles of fuzz some spoiling.
    Who knew I would fall in love with chickens!

2. LoreenH

LoreenH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Oregon
    I gave my finely chopped boiled egg. I think the chicks were about a week old at the time. I thought I was going to lose the skin on my hand when I was feeding them. [​IMG]

3. farmerinKC

farmerinKC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Mine loved yogurt-they were scared at first, but it just took one brave one to try it! [​IMG]

4. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    scrambled eggs. The first time you put them in the brooder, they just look at them. I only leave the eggs in with them for a couple of hours. Second time you do it they eat them right up. Then you can use an egg treat to tame them. They will jump right up on your hands and scarf. Like the poster above said....lucky if you have skin left on your hands. It is fun!!

5. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

I gave mine chopped grapes when they were about a week old. They loooooove them!

6. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I fill a frisbee with sand and added some "injured" bugs on top. They go crazy eating them and then have a blast dust bathing. I always start this at one week of age especially since they will be free ranging. It's funny that even without a momma it is ll instinctive at such a young age [​IMG]

7. bckyrdchknluvr

bckyrdchknluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    My Silkie chicks refused to eat eggs, greens, yogurt or any of the other treats I tried....until I blended up a bunch of raspberries from my garden. It is the only treat they will eat, and they will tackle each other to get it and steal pieces out of each others mouth, lol.[​IMG] It is so much fun watching them.

8. NewChickontheBawk

NewChickontheBawk Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2011
    Virginia
    Hard boiled eggs at 3 days....they loved them!

9. jodiea60

jodiea60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Arkansaw
    My 5 day olds wouldn't pay any attention to the yogurt...so I put some in my hand and layed my hand on the bottom of the brooder and they went crazy!!! They had yogurt flung everywhere.....They would eat for awhile then run off and wipe their little beaks and then come running back for more.....And watermelon...stand back it may get ugly!!!!

10. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    RICE my girls love, oatmeal, spaghetti. be careful with fruit and how much/

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by