What treat did your chickies get today?

I think it's the alvacodo peels, not the flesh. I've heard that about citrus too, but mine love it and have never been hurt. They don't get it a lot as it is expensive.

Mine got fermented oats, old yeast rolls, and old bologna.

Quote:
Ah, apparently the problem is mainly with the pit/skin, but I make it a practice to just avoid it completely. I've always read to avoid it when preparing green feeds for my finches. This was some reading from the internet.

Toxicity to animalsAvocado leaves, bark, skin, or pit are documented to be harmful to animals; cats, dogs, cattle, goats, rabbits, rats, birds, fish, and horses[20][34] can be severely harmed or even killed when they consume them. The avocado fruit is poisonous to some birds, and the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) lists it as toxic to many animals including cats, dogs, and horses.[35] Avocado is an ingredient in AvoDerm dog food[36] and cat food.[37] However, the ASPCA has declined to say whether this food is safe or not.

Avocado leaves contain a toxic fatty acid derivative, persin, which in sufficient quantity can cause equine colic and, without veterinary treatment, death.[38] The symptoms include gastrointestinal irritation, vomiting, diarrhoea, respiratory distress, congestion, fluid accumulation around the tissues of the heart, and even death. Birds also seem to be particularly sensitive to this toxic compound. Feeding avocados or guacamole to any nonhuman animal should be avoided completely. Negative effects in humans seem to be primarily in allergic individuals.

I just figure better to be safe than sorry.

Deb

steamed corn and cantelope
tomorrow will be sunday oatmeal. I always cook some up just for them on sunday.
D.gif

They hit it so hard I can hardly get it into the bowl.

Quote:
Ah, apparently the problem is mainly with the pit/skin, but I make it a practice to just avoid it completely. I've always read to avoid it when preparing green feeds for my finches. This was some reading from the internet.

Toxicity to animalsAvocado leaves, bark, skin, or pit are documented to be harmful to animals; cats, dogs, cattle, goats, rabbits, rats, birds, fish, and horses[20][34] can be severely harmed or even killed when they consume them. The avocado fruit is poisonous to some birds, and the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) lists it as toxic to many animals including cats, dogs, and horses.[35] Avocado is an ingredient in AvoDerm dog food[36] and cat food.[37] However, the ASPCA has declined to say whether this food is safe or not.

Avocado leaves contain a toxic fatty acid derivative, persin, which in sufficient quantity can cause equine colic and, without veterinary treatment, death.[38] The symptoms include gastrointestinal irritation, vomiting, diarrhoea, respiratory distress, congestion, fluid accumulation around the tissues of the heart, and even death. Birds also seem to be particularly sensitive to this toxic compound. Feeding avocados or guacamole to any nonhuman animal should be avoided completely. Negative effects in humans seem to be primarily in allergic individuals.

Deb

lol.png
barnie.gif
So thats whats wrong with me!
lau.gif
old.gif

Spaghetti, baked beans, leftover pizza, and an over ripe banana. Oh, and bird seed to get them back in their run when they weren't supposed to be free ranging.

Quote:
I don't think they would find enough of it in the huge compost area to hurt them. they don't eat the seed or rind when there's tons of other good stuff lying around. I think the only reason people say they should have citrus is because it is acidic and not good for egg production. I'm not really worried about that because only one of mine is laying. the rest are molting or too young

Quote:

Deb

lol.png
barnie.gif
So thats whats wrong with me!
lau.gif
old.gif

yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom