What treat did your chickies get today?

here is a recipe for the flock block/cakes that i just made yesterday...

2 cups of oatmeal (+amount of water needed to cook, use water not milk)
and i probably used a couple handfuls of scratch
1 banana
1 apple
handful of dried cranberries
handful of raisins
3 slices of bread broken into pieces (no crust)

1. Cook the two cups of oatmeal in a big bowl, i think i used about three cups of water for this because it made it a little bit thicker which helped keep the cakes together also
2. mix your scratch, and whatever else you want to add to the mixture
3. Combine everything with the oatmeal until it is mixed well.m
4. I put them into pans that you would use to make banana bread, they were just the aluminum foil ones you can just throw away after.
5. Then cook them at 300 degrees and cook for about an hour or until it is as hard as you would like it to be.

This made about 4 1/2 loaves of the cakes and they turned out pretty good. The girls loved them whenever we gave one to them this morning.

Make sure the pans are greased well (i used crisco) so that way they can just pop right out of the pans

Thanks so much!!
big_smile.png

Jennifer and Clarissa got there usual special breakfast. Red leaf lettuce, grape tomatoes and shredded mild cheddar cheese. And, later in the day, a handful of dried meal worms.

Well, my girls (and boy) are a wee bit spoiled - They get yum-yums TWICE a day! In the morning and in the evening, they get an assortment of organic cheese, yogurt or cottage cheese, nuts (we vary it between sunflower seeds, almonds, etc.), organic spinach, grapes, broccoli, figs or whatever else we have laying around in the fridge or the garden. Also leftover bread, pie crust, etc. Sometimes oatmeal or organic corn flakes get thrown in. In the summer, there's lots of cucumber and watermelon from the garden. I have had more than one person look at what we feed the chickens and ask if they can become part of the flock-LOL! This time of year with the cold, they also get some organic scratch in the evening to boost their little metabolisms! We usually go out a few times a day just to "visit" (they are not free-range -too many predators) and throw them a few dried handfuls of mealworms as a snack. In the summer, hubby delights in catching crickets and locusts to feed them! We also enjoy hanging a cabbage like a tether-ball from a string - they love it.
smile.png
Just bought a "grow your own sprouts" kit off Amazon so we'll see how they like that..no, they're not spoiled!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom